Notary Rotary
Most days are great, but sometimes....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by jojo_MN on 2/24/05 11:52am
Msg #22175

The title company that I did a signing in a city 110 miles away forgot to send me the title docs in their overnight packet or e-mail them to me and wanted me to drive all the way back up there tonight (220 miles round trip) for $25. I told them it's not my fault the docs weren't there and I shouldn't be punished for someone else's mistake. The manager told me that I know better than going to a signing without a complete packet. I said there were over 100 pages and it was from the Title company; therefore it is the blame of the employee of the TC for not having the docs in the packet or sent to me. Anyway, I refused to go there for $25, so I probably lost one of my best clients. Why should I take five hours out of my time and pay $20 for gas to make $5?

Oh well, day in the life of a NSA!
How's your day going?

Now, that's off my chest. Sorry, Hugh, didn't mean to say chest!

Reply by RG/CA on 2/24/05 12:52pm
Msg #22186

I probably would of done the same. There is only so much we can take.

Reply by twil4/wi on 2/24/05 5:12pm
Msg #22233

Wow, its great to hear others have these troubles! I dont mean great for you, but at least Im not alone. Had a company call yesterday moring for a same day signing, i print docs, of course with a borrowers copy, for $75, at 6pm. I had nothing going until 8, so I accepted it, even though I should have said $100, they caught me off guard. Well, 5pm, no docs, no borrowers phone number, I thought it must be cancelled, as they were meant to be here by 2, and the 6 pm closing is 25 miles away in a rural isolated area. i get an email from the agency that it is still on, can i start calling the lender to see what the delay is?
Like thats my job.! Thats the second agency that wanted me to start nagging the lender for the docs. I suppose they want to go home. To make a very long story short, they finally come, I cancel my 8pm dinner engagement, have to print out 197 pages, and the borrower will meet me at Atlantic Bread, as she only has a little while, as SHE has a dinner engagement! Never, ever again!

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/24/05 5:40pm
Msg #22237

JoJo,

I don't know if this sounds too harsh, as you indicated that this was one of your best clients, but I suppose you have to ask yourself "heh, do I really want a client like that?"

Now having said that on the other hand I believe what you may need to do is assess this in a broader context, like how much business have they sent me. what is the liklihood that something like this might happen again, considerations along those lines. because it seems to me if this may well be an isolated incident and there is the prospect of continued good business, you may want to cut them some slack.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 2/24/05 6:37pm
Msg #22244

I think thats a bit to much slack to be cutting. No way in blank would I return (even for my best client) for $25.

Reply by T/GA on 2/24/05 8:01pm
Msg #22255

Jojo....you made a good business decision by not going. 5hrs is a long distance and they weren't at all willing to compensate you more then $25. Honestly, if you've been doing good business for them in the past they WILL probably use your services again. People, title companies, signing services..whoever, generally know when they are trying to give you the dirty end of the stick. If you take it well then they will give it to you each and every time just because you took it the first time but if you don't they know for future reference that they can't give you the dirty end of the stick and expect to get away with it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.