Notary Rotary
New Map Program
Notary Discussion History

New Map Program
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Joan-OH on 2/12/05 8:01pm
Msg #20421

New Map Program

My brother pointed me to the google mapping @ http://maps.google.com/ this evening. It is great! Still in it's beta test, but far & above better than Yahoo maps.

Joan-OH

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 2/12/05 8:55pm
Msg #20424

Does anybody use GPS?

I did a signing the other night where the realtor who was there asked me to do a signing for another client of his right after the one I was at. He said I could follow him - he has a GPS system. I was amazed and impressed with it. I had no idea where I was!

I just ordered a Garmin GPS 2620 GPS from an internet site (almost $300 cheaper than at the stores). I'm really looking forward to it.

I was just wondering if anybody here uses one and how do you like it?

Reply by Joseph_CA on 2/12/05 9:03pm
Msg #20425

Re: Does anybody use GPS?

My wifes car has one. and its very convenient. It takes comands with voice, like"find the nearest gas station" "find the nearest restaurant" and it finds right away. And if youre lost just click on the screen "go home" put your password and it takes you back home from wherever you are.

Its a factory equipted Honda Accord Navigation System. Its worth every penny in this business

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 2/12/05 9:11pm
Msg #20427

I'll bet it's invaluable! I can't wait to get mine. It also has a speaker and verbally gives directions.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/12/05 9:42pm
Msg #20438

They are only as accurate as the "maps" that are within the system. Around here, we have roads that are mapped and don't exist, roads that exist and aren't mapped (big building boom going on right now) and roads that I would be hesitant to take a 4 wheel ATV down! I have found that getting the property location from the County Appraiser's web site (aerial maps as well as plat maps) and a good mapping tool (I use DeLorme) in conjunction with the online maps (Yahoo is better than MapQuest, imo, and now Google's maps seem to be the cream of the crop, even if it is still beta-ware) provides me the planning capabilities that has only let me down once in over 3 years.

I like DeLorme maps because I can "edit" the maps, showing roads that don't exist or are impassible, add new roads, plan "trips" with multiple stops and show info about some roads, like "gated access" roads into PUD's.

Reply by Dave_CA on 2/13/05 11:27am
Msg #20467

I purchased the TomTom GO GPS after reading the reviews of several in PC Magazine a few months ago.
I am very pleased with the 3D display and the mounting but will have to agree with Paul the maps are not yet 100% so I print a map online. I also have Microsoft Streets & Trips on my notebook as a backup.
I have found the system to be a great help most of the time and it will re-route very quickly if I stray or need to detour.
I think it is a great tool.

Reply by Amanda VA on 2/13/05 8:17pm
Msg #20540

I have a Magellan 7000...LOVE IT!!!!!!! It has saved me so much time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.