Notaries.... Boost your Income
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Korey Humphreys on 2/17/05 11:10am
Msg #21036

Hey you......... boost your income!!

Most states allow disinterested person's to serve court process.

Every state, at least Federal Law, allows a person 18 and older to serve subpoenas.

Here in Massachusetts I'm legally able to serve all subpoena's, probate and family court process, summonses, and notices (14 & 30 day + Notice's of Trespass).

In a weeks time I make well over $400.00 just by serving local process for the attorney's/general public in my area.

I offer Notary Public services too, (obviously) because they look at that as an extra bonus and convenience! They see extra "bonus" I see extra income!! Smiley

Massachusetts Notaries are allowed to issue subpoenas, summonses, certain orders, etc. In addition, I offer an acknowledgment (as notary) for Notice's of Trespass for buisness and private property owners. A notice of trespass is just a letter/notice telling a person that he or she is forbidden from entering in or upon certain property. (Failure to abide will result in a fine, or imprisionment.) Once signed and I seal it, I serve a copy to the local Police department and leave the police with the return of service so that they may enforce it if the tresspasser goes back onto the property.

So what I'm suggesting to you is....... in order to boost your buisness or add on to it at least, you should be a process server. I know that some states require you to be licensed, however most states do not. Massachusetts doesn't care. All they require is that the person serving be disinterested (not named in the case) and 18 years or older.

Granted, you could also become a Paralegal, which I've already obtained my degree, but we should all know what Paralegal's do nowadays.

Reply by jlynn mn on 2/17/05 12:24pm
Msg #21047

How do you sign up to do that ? Thanks for the info.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/17/05 12:35pm
Msg #21049

Well, you don't actualy sign up.

You check your state Rules of Court, and laws to see if your eligible to become a process server. Then, if your eligible, you can just send out flyers, like I have, to local attorneys and stay in contact with them to see if they'll give you buisness.

Like I mentioned, in MA any disinterested person over 18 years of age can serve most civil process. All subpoenas in the same manner.

Just check with your court or state rules. You should find your answer in the MN rules of civil procedure under process.

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/17/05 12:25pm
Msg #21048

Thank you for the info. I am a Paralegal as well! I will check into the laws for process services in California and see if this is an area that I can go into as well. Again, thanks for the tip, it's much appreciated!

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 2/17/05 12:44pm
Msg #21051

Also check your local county websites for the process to be a processor. I checked contra costa county and they require a bond and some other stuff.

Reply by ColleenCA on 2/17/05 1:32pm
Msg #21053

Re: Notaries.... Boost your Income Here is the answer for Ca

The California Code of Civil Procedure Section 414.10 states: A summons may be served by any person who is at least 18 years of age and not a party to the action. The county that I live in (Ventura) requires a registeration fee of 188.00-191.00 which covers the bond for a process server. The notary bond will not cover it. The fee you pay depends on what type of bond you purchase. Hope that helps those of us in Calif.

Reply by Stephanie/CA on 2/17/05 1:53pm
Msg #21056

Generally, when serving papers......

you may be dealing with angry parties, involving Family Law, divorce, custody battles, etc.
For my own personal choice, I choose not to be a Process Server due to the nature of the circumstances.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/17/05 2:04pm
Msg #21058

What little bit of process service I do is safe.

In other words, I only do a few where I serve on custodians of records in medical treatment providers.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 2/17/05 3:54pm
Msg #21075

Had a neighbor that did serves for about 5 years

Was shot at, had his vehicle kicked and rammed, someone even let their pit bull out after him and it actually punctured a car tire. He was sued, swore at and often spit on. Most serves in CA pay next to nothing and you are often dealing with the dregs of society. Not a occupation for the faint of heart. IMHO

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/17/05 7:07pm
Msg #21113

Re: Had a neighbor that did serves for about 5 years

From my perspective I tend to agree with Dogmonger and Stephanie. Process serving is not for the faint of heart. And I sure don't think I would consider engaging in this if I were a woman.

Plus the fact, often you wait around a long time trying to effect service on those who really don't want to be served. And then as previously mentioned, they aren't really happy when they are served.

I would suggest you all stick to loan signings and other more civilized endeavors.

Reply by Kevin/Ct on 2/18/05 5:05am
Msg #21142

Re: Generally, when serving papers......

One of the state's marshals here in Connecticut recently told me that serving process is not as easy as it looks. This is especially true in divorce cases and evictions. He said in those cases the defendants are often beligerent and violent. He said he never knows what is waiting on the other side of the door when he attempts service...loaded gun...vicious dog?

Reply by Anonymous on 2/17/05 1:30pm
Msg #21052

What type of situations do you find yourself in?

Lisa/VA

Reply by Dellaca on 2/17/05 3:02pm
Msg #21067

If any decide to do this , be careful it can be dangerous.Some of these people you would be serving can get very angry, and they can be hard to serve.
Della

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/17/05 4:24pm
Msg #21081

This is an idea I have actually considered, but my cursory searches provided little in the way of information on process servers in Florida. Any idea how I can focus the search a little?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/17/05 5:09pm
Msg #21091

http://www.jud11.flcourts.org/programs_and_services/process_servers.htm

This should get you started in the right direction.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/17/05 6:00pm
Msg #21099

Wow, you're good! Thanks.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/17/05 6:08pm
Msg #21101

Shhh.... Don't tell anyone. Smiley

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/17/05 6:43pm
Msg #21110

I researched this last year and found that some judicial circuits in Florida appoint their process servers. Indian River County (19th jc) is one that appoints process servers. I don't know what web site I found it on but, it listed requirements by county.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/17/05 6:55pm
Msg #21112

Found it!

http://www.fapps.org/

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/17/05 10:06pm
Msg #21129

Thank you, that was very helpful!

Reply by Becky on 2/17/05 6:14pm
Msg #21102

how much does it pay on the average for each paper served?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/17/05 6:31pm
Msg #21107

I charge 50.00 per local document I serve (within 10 miles)

Beyond that, I charge 75.00 for upto 25 miles per document

Beyond 25 miles, I charge 100.00 per document.

It is good money, especially if you hit it off like I have with local attorney's. See, when I marketed myself, I also included Paralegal and Notary Public Services.

Naturally, the law office Paralegal and/or Legal Secretary, whom calls in the process servers, already take a liking to me because I am also a Paralegal and notary public (they like it because they too are considered paralegal's and most are Notaries).

Remember, in an attorney's office, the secretary/paralegal is the one who calls out to find a process server.

Reply by Becky on 2/17/05 6:42pm
Msg #21109

I've check Kansas statutes. Disinterested individual 18yrs+ can serve subpenas. I'll start marketing with my local attorney offices. Thanks for tip. With increase of SA in my area, anything helps.

Read some posts about scarry encounters while serving papers....I take it you've not had any bad experiences?

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/17/05 7:23pm
Msg #21116

You should also look into what other things you can serve. You might be able to serve most probate and family court related process too.

Reply by Sam/NJ on 2/18/05 9:11am
Msg #21153

Re: take 2 friends with you - smith and wesson n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.