Notary Rotary
Notaries Unite, let's demand 1/2 payment up front
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by ScottW on 2/17/05 9:02am
Msg #21011

I don't know how the rest of the notaries feel, but I"m tired of doing work and not getting paid. The closings that I get paid for, I must make numerous calls to the signing companies and make threats to get paid. It gets really old. I jump thru all their hoops, then they don't even have the decency to pay me without a major hassle.

I follow their instructions, I have everything signed and notarized, I fax the pages they want back for their review, I send in their invoice/confirmation pages. Then I wait, and wait and wait, and no payment. Then I call and they ask me to send the invoice again, and again I wait, and wait, and then I call and do it again. Then finally, I have to get threatening and finallly I get paid. Of course this doesn't always work, as I have been stiffed about 4 times out of the 50 or 60 closings that I have done.

Two of the companies that have NOT paid me are "Residential Signatures" and "Mortgage Outsource Solutions".

I would love to see us notaries demand 1/2 our fees up front. Either sent with the package when receiving overnight packages, or having the fees deposited to a Paypal account for eDocs. What do you think? Am I the only notary who has had a tuff time getting paid for their work?

I look forward to your comments.

Scott

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 9:17am
Msg #21012

Being that there are so many notaries out there, I doubt that demanding half payment upfront will fly with signing companies. It's not logical to pay someone before the service is performed for various reasons. If the SA messes up the loan or anything else goes wrong, the ss will not be paid, therefore they are out the money they fronted you. You could request that payment up front from the companies that didn't pay, should they call you again.
Sign up with reputable services. I haven't run across a payment problem yet, as I have registered with the 4+ star rated companies here and always request an e-mail confirmation before the signing. I will ask a new company that contacts me if they'd give me a few minutes to check my schedule, they do and I check them out and call them right back. If I take it not knowing anything about them, then it's a chance I'm taking and a lesson learned.

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/17/05 10:39am
Msg #21032

My I have a dream speech....

I have a Dream!

I dream of signing services paying upfront...
I dream of signing services paying Ameriquest fees of over $250 per signing
I dream of every borrower I close being a beautiful woman
I dream of getting paid in a timely manner when not paid up front
I dream that Title companies would utilize me more than signing services
I dream that non-compete contracts were never enforceable
I dream that that every borrower was told everything about their loan, and signed within 20 minutes
I dream that every state/title company required the same color ink...not blank OR blue
I dream that I had celebrity concubines
I dream that Accusigning actually paid me for a closing I did in Late December
I dream that Ameriquest paid for Trip charges in less than 5 months....
I dream that every woman I slept with had an orgasm
I dream that I could sign up for every possible signing service/title company thru 1 website (idea!)
I dream that my stamp never started running out of ink without telling me first
I dream that signing services didn't call to confirm you are on the way, confirm you are there, and then confirm that you are closing it 3 times prior to the closing...
I dream that cats and dogs live together in harmony
I dream that Democrats got on with their lives, and become republicans or independents Smiley
I dream that one day I can have a private account for my social security
I dream that Rush Limbaugh actually shut up
I dream that I win the lottery
I dream that Miss Cleo could tell me which signing companies paid on time
I dream that Jessica Simpson would divorce Nick Lachey

Okay, I rambling now Smiley

I have a dream!

but, thats all it is....lol

Reply by HisHughness on 2/17/05 11:26am
Msg #21038

Re: My I have a dream speech....

I have a dream...

I have a dream that one day Indiana will elect another politician with the commonsense and vision of Richard Lugar.
I have a dream that one day people of good will like Shane will recognize that people with commonsense and vision like Richard Lugar are Republicans by accident of geography and birth, and Democratic soulmates by exercise of intelligence.
I have a dream that all of those beautiful homeowners, celebrity concubines, and orgasmic women Shane sleeps with have my phone number, too.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 11:32am
Msg #21039

pass the pipe...

dream... that my phone would ring non-stop and I'd be so busy that I wouldn't have to sit on my butt signing up with SS's !
I have a dream to make so much money that I could travel 4 times a year (with a Nanny) preferably that Super Nanny on t.v. Smiley

ok...enough...I'm going to find some fake sun and pretend I'm in Aruba

Reply by NEWBIE on 2/17/05 2:51pm
Msg #21063

So, I have been in the business for a little more than a year, and I've not been paid by a few companies, is that par for the course? Most other notaries have had similar experiences? What percent of closings do others not get paid for? If I have completed 20 signings and haven't been paid for 3 of them, is this just a normal cost of doing this type of work?

Reply by TNotary on 2/17/05 2:58pm
Msg #21066

I have doing signings for 2 years and I have 4 compaines who have not paid. Maybe do a signing for that company again and not send docs until they send you the check they owe you.

Reply by Roger/OH on 2/17/05 3:11pm
Msg #21068

DO NOT follow the suggestion of TNotary!!

Don't ever hold any docs hostage. The borrowers are not involved in your payment issues and you could be very liable if they lose any part of their loan terms because you held docs.
There are numerous ways to go after deadbeat companies. Read the boards for examples of methods that have worked such as "killer" collection letters.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 3:29pm
Msg #21069

YIKES!!!

that sounds highly illegal!
You'd have some pretty ticked off borrowers that would most likely sue you!

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/17/05 4:18pm
Msg #21079

TNotary - Excellent advice for ALL of my competition. I would love to see them practice this method of collections.

NSAs in competition with me:

Accept signings with the intent to hold docs hostage, create financial damage to an innocent borrower, and get sued so you will be unable to focus on your business or getting any of mine.

Maybe even have your commission revoked. I believe that could also happen under the laws of the State of Texas. The SOS has pretty much left the gate open for us here on what constitutes taking away a commission.

Rave on TNotary! Help Notary Signing Agents find new and exciting ways to lose their commission. Help them see how they can commit questionable acts WHILE developing substantial evidence of the same that will jeopardize their careers.

Perfect!

Readers - don't listen to this incredibly self-serving suggestion of TNotary. Don't even give this type of coercion technique a second thought. When I read something like this I know this is the same person who sees someone drop money and feels smug when they pick it up and put it in their pocket. Talk about an opportunist!

Sorry to come down so hard on TNotary, but really!

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/18/05 9:38pm
Msg #21310

TNotary has figured out "Maybe do a signing for that company again and not send docs until they send you the check they owe you."

And this, ScottW is why demanding SS's to pay 1/2 up front will never fly. Unfortunately, when others follow the actions of bad applies such as TNotary, they'll only end up rotting.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/17/05 2:55pm
Msg #21064

Why don't you just demand 1/2 of your payment up front and see how much work you get under your new policy? I have a feeling it would quickly dwindle down to none.

Reply by ERNA BALDVINSDOTTIR on 2/18/05 1:47am
Msg #21140

YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE. WHEN I RUN INTO BAD PAYERS. I JUST TELL THEM I IM GOING TO CONTACT ALL THE LENDERS AND INFORM THEM OF THE NONE PAYMENTS AS WELL AS REPORT THEM TO THE BETER BUSINESS . IT WORKS FOR ME. YOU PROBALY WOUNT WORK FOR THAT SIGING AGENCY AGAIN. BUT WHO WANTS TO WORK FOR NOTHING.

Reply by AngieCA on 2/18/05 5:56pm
Msg #21279

Re: Notaries Unite,They are NOT WILLING TO

Don't even try to change things...because every time a suggestion is brought up...all the "seasoned" notary shoot your ideas down. So much for thinking out of the box.

I guess the attitude is "that's the way it is, that is the way it will always be".

I was kinda of hoping that when I suggested that we charge a percentage of what the lender or title company gets paid, that someone would say "ok" let's discuss it......here I go dreaming!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.