Notary Rotary
Notary Identity Certification
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Mary Pierce on 2/26/05 5:02pm
Msg #22643

I did a Quicken Loan this afternoon and they have a Notary Identity Certification in the package for me to sign and then stamp my seal....I can't notarize my own signature. Anyone run across this one?

Reply by Lisa/WI on 2/26/05 5:12pm
Msg #22645

Do a search on this one. This is a big issue for a lot of people. And there is differing opinions on it. They all seem to make sense with the situation, so I would suggest reading all the posts on this subject and making a conclusion. I probably would call whoever hired me and ask them what they would suggest and go from there. Good Luck!!

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/26/05 5:21pm
Msg #22647

I did leave a message for the SS however, being Saturday they are closed until Monday and I believe they are on west coast and I'm on the east coast. I usually have to drop these docs in the Fed Ex box on my lunch break which as at noon and they are usually just getting into their office by that time.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/26/05 5:34pm
Msg #22648

Why even call them to ask? If you can't notarize your own signature, you can't notarize your own signature. So don't stamp it.

I'm all for clarifying things with signing services when necessary, but what and how we should apply our notary seals to are NOT things they should be advising us on. You should know what the laws of your state allow and act accordingly.

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/26/05 5:55pm
Msg #22652

You are exactly right. All the more reason to keep a copy of one's state handbook for reference. I wouldn't stamp it.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/27/05 7:47am
Msg #22712

I know the law...just wanted to clarify with them or to let them know "why" I can't do that. I'm going to put a note on it telling them I can't affix my seal.

Reply by Lisa/Wi on 2/27/05 8:37am
Msg #22715

Yes!! I agree with you guys. But some of our "elders" on this site will put a signature line for the borrowers to sign and go from there. Like I said "read the posts". Its actually a good subject on this site. One hopefully, that will come with change to the form because we know what we are supposed to do.

Reply by Notary-VA on 3/3/05 4:00pm
Msg #23495

Some people recommend stamping it, then cross it out and write "sample only"

Reply by sue/pa on 2/27/05 7:20pm
Msg #22779

Mary, I don't know how this specific form is worded but you can probably notarize it. I've never seen one yet that I couldn't do. Don't listen to the WI & CA notaries (in their defense you didn't post our state) because they apparently can't certify and we can. Read it carefully to be sure you agree with what it says but most of them just say you've viewed the id and it appears genuine, or something to that effect. I have no problem with that.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/27/05 9:45pm
Msg #22790

>>> Mary, I don't know how this specific form is worded but you can probably notarize it. <<<

Correct me if I'm wrong Mary, but I do believe you are in New York (Buffalo area). And, if the form is what I think it is, it is a statement of certification by the notary that the information on the form, as provided by the notary, is true and accurate.

In PA, the notaries can certify information. However, I do not think this applies to New York. (This is not a legal opinion nor based on any previous legal knowledge except by reading the NY Executive Law.)

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/27/05 10:44pm
Msg #22796

Sorry - I'm in PA. We are not allowed to notarize our own signature or affix our seal to anything we are not notarizing.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/27/05 10:53pm
Msg #22797

Sorry 'bout that Mary. I don't know why I thought you were in Buffalo.

Oh well.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/28/05 5:55am
Msg #22812

Now that I think about it, it is a certification and I am certifying to the lender that I saw their ID. So I guess I can place my seal on the document.

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/28/05 6:49am
Msg #22813

Re: Notary Identity Certification/Was it like this?

IDENTIFICATION ACKNOWLEGEMENT

I, _________________, being the Undersigned Officer, do hereby
acknowledge that _____________________________, has/have shown the proper proof of identification in the form ___________________________ and is/are the party/parties who are named within the instrument.

Driver's License/Social Security No:___________________________________________

Drivers License?Social Security No:___________________________________________

Executed this_______day of ______________, 2005

State of ____________________

County of _____________________

The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this _____day of
________________,20_______ by ____________________________________,who is
personally known to me or who has produced his/her _______________________________
as identification and who did take an oath.

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/28/05 6:59am
Msg #22814

The form above is not signed by the borrowers, but the notary is certifying he has seen the borrowers ID (s) and verified same.

However I beleive the one you are referrring to is a different form, that I've seen a couple times that I have only signed, as there was not a venue on the form.

Oh well- guess this does not really apply for the situation being discussed. Here you are not actually notarizing you own signature, but you are certifying the information you yourself wrote in.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/28/05 7:02am
Msg #22815

I actually had to place a checkmark under what type of ID I viewed, signed my name and then it says to place my notary here seal. Nothing else.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 2/28/05 7:04am
Msg #22816

There is no notarial wording on the document.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/28/05 7:20am
Msg #22817

IMPO... In which case you would NOT put your seal on it. No notary certificate, no notarization.

Reply by Happy_in_Fl on 2/28/05 7:31am
Msg #22818

Paw is correct.

Believe the form is like this that you are describing.

CERTIFICATION OF IDENTIFICATION

I hereby certify I have examined the identifying document captioned below which was presented to me by the party indicated below. Said document appears to be genuine and the photograph on the document (if any) appears to be the individual named.

IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENT

_________Drivers License ____________other

________Social Security Card _____________Passport

Name as Indicated on Identifying Document____________________________________

Document Number___________________________________________

Date of Issue ____________________________________-

Date Expiration______________________________________

Reply by sue on 2/28/05 11:20am
Msg #22844

Sounds like your first instinct was correct. You can't 'slap your seal on it' without the notary block being there. Even when it is, always be sure to read it carefully. You never want to certify the borrowers 'are' who they are. You only want to certify something along the lines that you've viewed their id.

Reply by Mary Pierce on 3/1/05 7:39am
Msg #22996

I called the SS and she told me to just sign the form and not worry about my seal. Even my boss who is an attorney told me to just sign it and send it w/o the seal.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.