Notary Rotary
Off-topic: Symantec security software has problems
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Ernest_CT on 2/11/05 12:03pm
Msg #20227

Everyone who has Symantec anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-*: Please update your software ASAP. There was a notice in a computing publication that there were vulnerabilities discovered.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/11/05 12:33pm
Msg #20231

Are you referring to: "Program Attacks Microsoft AntiSpyware App - Malware disables Microsoft's application and tries to steal online banking passwords."

Read entire story -> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119641,00.asp

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/11/05 12:36pm
Msg #20232

or This one ...

"Symantec flaw leaves opening for viruses"

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5569811.html

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/11/05 12:59pm
Msg #20234

Actually, neither. But both are good.

Because of a past life, I get an eMagazine related to computer "Security Solutions". The eMagazine, and its related hardcopy sibling, are intended for resellers.

Always, always, always keep your anti-virus protection up to date. Its cheap insurance!

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/11/05 1:01pm
Msg #20235

Its important to note that all Software, Spyware, Virus Protection, and Firewall, has holes, and will be attacked by malicious people several to hundreds of times a day.

There is no fail-safe security program, to protect you from all viruses, trojan horses, worms, DoS attacks, etc.... unfortuntely.

Reply by Dave_CA on 2/11/05 3:39pm
Msg #20273

Ernest_CT said
Because of a past life, I get an eMagazine related to computer "Security Solutions". The eMagazine, and its related hardcopy sibling, are intended for resellers.

Always, always, always keep your anti-virus protection up to date. Its cheap insurance!

I also spent part of a past life in the internet security business and would like to expand on this excellent advice.
The 2nd most important thing you can do is to ensure that you keep windows up to date.
I would advise turning Windows Update on and, either set to automatic or checking very frequently and applying all the security updates. JMOHO

Reply by Teasa/NY on 2/12/05 12:05pm
Msg #20378

I have windows XP and have downloaded the service pac 2. I check and run the updates often. I have Norton anti-virus which I just recently resubcribed to and run the live updates often and I have noadware which I run occasionally as some viruses have gotten in. I also turn the computer all the way off at night. You techno guys, is this enough?

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/13/05 12:30pm
Msg #20479

Theoritically yes. But, no Smiley hehe. You'd want to add a firewall for a little higher security setting. Anytime you connect to the internet, you can be infected within seconds. Its rare, but it does happen. Mostly its stupid little malicious scripts or programs that don't do much other than make more banners pop up... but, you never know. All it takes is one ugly one.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 2/14/05 2:59pm
Msg #20593

You don't think that the firewall that came with service pack 2 is enough.

Reply by X-IT on 2/14/05 3:14pm
Msg #20594

NO!

Anything that Mickey Squish does will be a target of attacks and fully exploited, just because they are who they are. Get a third party firewall from a company that only does security stuff, like:

Top Picks -- Norton & ZoneAlarm

More Choices -- BlackIce, eTrust, Fireball, Freedom/Hacker Stopper, F-Secure, Kerio, Look'n'Stop, McAfee, Outpost, Panda, PC-cillin, Preventon, PrivateFirewall, , Sygate, Terminet, Tiny & Trustix

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/14/05 5:28pm
Msg #20603

X-IT has it right!

Don't even think of trusting Micro$oft! If you can find a local computer geek to help out, do so.

"Geek" is not a dirty word. Best Buy calls their techies "The Geek Squad". I'm proud of my geekdom, but my computer expertise is not in security.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.