PAW_FL, internet access help again
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 12:21pm
Msg #22179

Hi Paul,

I took your advice and installed Zone Alarm Pro5, Norton Anti-Virus, the wireless router you suggested, but have not signed up for Mozilla Foxfire yet. Still having lots of problems. Most pop-ups are gone, but get two called "new popupprs" and "freebies" that will just not go away, bogging down my system. Also, got "Trojan" virus and Norton dialog box must have popped up 20 times telling me that it was deleted from my system. Can I put that info in the "background"? My system is so bogged down I can not even switch from one website to another without problems. Should I do a recovery and re-install all the software? Any suggestions would be helpful before I call in an expert. I cannot even function in this computer as is. Very frustrating to say the least, especially when I understand you are using the same setup and it's working. I appreciate your time.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/24/05 12:51pm
Msg #22185

Get and run "Ad-aware" and "HiJackThis" to clean up those cycle-stealing pop-ups and data miners. Do not leave your browser or any internet accessing software running unattended. But the biggest issue is to "clean house" to get rid of what's already there.

Reply by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 1:00pm
Msg #22188

So those two products should "clean house"? I thought Ad-aware was similar to Zone Alarm? And by leaving the browser or any internet accessing software running unattended do you mean that I should disconnect the modem when not using the computer opvernight? Sorry for all the questions, but it's quite an education. The fact that you share this info so freely is very generous on your part.

Reply by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 1:06pm
Msg #22190

Also, how do I stop the Norton Anti-Virus from popping up constanly. What in the settings will put it in the background?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/24/05 1:41pm
Msg #22193

You can't stop NAV from letting you know about virus detection alerts. However, you can set NAV to automatically quarantine or try to repair files. It will still let you know, but you don't have to respond to the message. Go through the "Options" in NAV and set them appropriately.

Reply by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 2:13pm
Msg #22197

I'll see what I can do with NAV. Just looked on download.com and reviewed "HiJackThis". I'm a little worried about this program in my novice hands. A great many warnings said this program could be dangerous to your computer if you're inexperienced in what should or should not be deleted. Reviews say it can smash windows settings. I'll consider it, but not sure about my capability.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/24/05 2:40pm
Msg #22203

Yes, HiJackThis can be overwhelming and very intimidating. If you're unsure, don't do it. However, Ad-Aware will get rid of 98% of the junk. It may need to be run twice or thrice, but it will do a lot of good.

When running it, make sure there is NO INTERNET ACTIVITY going on. You may want to disconnect from the web by turning off the modem and leaving the router on so the PC still thinks its networked. Run Ad-Aware at least twice. You may even have to restart your system, if prompted, to let Ad-Aware remove some persistent little gremlins that latch on the the kernel. (It will run a DOS based version prior to starting Windows.)

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/24/05 1:13pm
Msg #22191

Ad-Aware and HiJackThis are pop-up snooping utilities that will look through your system's registry and files looking for "known" pop-up applets and data mining minions. These are what usually wreak havoc on systems causing them to slow down and cough and spit and sputter.

Ad-Aware has a utility that will "watch" for incoming crapola and block it. It's called Ad-watch and works similar to Norton Antivirus but is for spybots and data miners.

If you leave your system on overnight, you should be alright if ZoneAlarm is installed and running properly. That coupled with the router should provide a fair amount of protection. But you got to get rid of the evil-doers that's already on your machine, When I say not to leave internet accessing programs running unattended, I mean things like your browser, email clients like Outlook Express. Of course, it doesn't hurt to shut down your modem and router when you are not using the internet for long periods of time. This is one sure way to avoid problems coming from the web side of cyberspace.

Reply by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 1:18pm
Msg #22192

I'll give these a shot and let you know. As always, you're a fabulous resource. Thanks so much!

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/24/05 3:10pm
Msg #22209

For added security you can sign up for an overlay, wich is a service wich lets you use their ip while you are on the net. it is called. Findnot. With downloading loan doc's you cant have enough security. i use findnot until i get all the files clean off the system. Be aware of programs that offer free utilities, adware programs ect.

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/24/05 2:55pm
Msg #22205

Get a program called Spyware Begone with it you get a free program wich is called No trace. it cleans everything. And make sure you have your spyware program and firewall configured right. If you still have problems you might consider reformatting your system. Good luck

Reply by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 3:16pm
Msg #22211

Thank you both for your suggestions. I wish I was more familiar with computer solutions, but I'm going to give these suggestions a try. So far, so good. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Yeah right!

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/24/05 4:06pm
Msg #22215

I use Zone Alarm also. I understand that they have a spyware program for sale too, don't know much about it, but I am happy with ZA so that could be another source for you.

Reply by Kath_CA on 2/24/05 4:37pm
Msg #22221

Thanks, John, I installed Zone Alarm yesterday per Paul's previous suggestion & it appears to take care of most problems, but I have a few persistent pop-ups. I'm hoping Ad-aware will take care of them.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/24/05 8:02pm
Msg #22256

Kath,
You can buy Norton Professional and everything is included in the one package -- no need to buy/install extra software. I have both hard-wired and wireless going through my Linksys router.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.