Notary Rotary
PDF email doc printing very slow!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by fiKS on 2/28/05 10:02pm
Msg #22951

My first time getting a loan doc in PDF format. It took forever to print. After 20 minutes still nothing printed. I tried this twice. Finally downloaded the doc in a different format and finished printing just in time to keep last minute appointment. I had the same problem when trying to download and print a driver's handbook from our local DMV for my son. Anyone experienced the same problem?

I'm using Adobe Reader 6.0. Didn't download 7.0, I read on this board that it is problematic.

Reply by Art_MD on 3/1/05 6:57am
Msg #22993

I need some more info to help with problem.

1. Was it an attachment to an e-mail?
2. Did you download to hard drive?
3. If downloading from a site, which site?
4. How large was file you were downloading?
5. In the end, how many pages in file?
6. What printer do you use.?

Adobe 6 should have worked. All in all, it works well. 7 has some bugs from what I read on this board.

Art

Reply by PAW_Fl on 3/1/05 7:51am
Msg #22998

Re: PDF email doc printing very slow! Adobe problem????

>>> Adobe 6 should have worked. All in all, it works well. 7 has some bugs from what I read on this board. <<<

I have been doing some non-scientific testing on my own with Adobe Reader 5, 6, and 7. I have found all to function properly with "most" document test files (Win2K & XP with two different networked HP printers). I have noticed that more and more of the PDF files that are in text format are being made in the higher versions of the PDF, that is v6 and one in v7 (though not a loan doc set). I have also noticed that too many are still be scanned as images which (1) makes the file extremely large and (2) makes for printing extremely slow.

The best bet to handle the image files is to put as much memory in the printer as possible. That way the entire page can be rendered by the printer rather than the PC. Of course, the printer must be able to accept a "full page" before it can be printed. So, if the HUD, for example, is scanned as an image and sent to a printer will a low amount of memory, it just might sit there and churn, and churn, on the "image" and never produce any output. Or the output may be garbled and unreadable. Or, an error message may be displayed.

The files that I have found that do not work "well" with Adobe are malformed files. Not the fault of Adobe.

Reply by fiKS on 3/1/05 10:48am
Msg #23031

Art:
1. It wasn't an attachement. It was a link.
2. I didn't download. When I clink on the link it opened the doc immediately.
3. I don't know which web site. URL wasn't posted. Clicked on "click here" link.
4. Don't know size.
5. 90 pages
6. I have HP 3015 - I believe has 32MB ram

After this incident, I am reluctant to accept last minute docs in PDF format. At the rate things were going yesterday, it could have taken a good 3 hours just to print 2 sets.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/1/05 11:52am
Msg #23048

It may help to print pages 1 through n, wait 'til they've finished, then print pages n through end of file.

There is one Web Site (sorry, can't remember which one) at which that is the only way I could get the 100+ non-PDF pages to print.

Reply by fiKS on 3/1/05 12:16pm
Msg #23061

Ernest:

I'll try that next time. I remember printing an Ameriquest package once (and we know how large their docs are). The scheduler broke the package into 2 files, but each one was still about 75 pages or so and although it was slower to print than other types of formats, it wasn't as slow as the one I tried yesterday.

Like PAW said, the sender probably formatted the document as an "image" instead of a "text" file.

I don't understand when you said "There is one Web Site (sorry, can't remember which one) at which that is the only way I could get the 100+ non-PDF pages to print"

I've never had printing problems in other document formats before.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 3/1/05 12:37pm
Msg #23066

The Site had its own interface, totally unlike anything else I've ever seen. I'm really sorry I can't remember (or look up) what Site it was!

If memory serves, the notary enters a job number which brings up a Page of document title listings. Each title has a checkbox beside it, with all boxes checked by default. If the box is checked, that document will be printed. How the document text is stored I don't know; it is definitely not PDF. I could get the documents to print only by unchecking about half of the boxes, printing, then checking those boxes which had ben unchecked and vice versa. If I hadn't already accepted the signing, I would have doubled my edoc fee because of the annoyance. (Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I really should try hard to find which signing service it was so that I can charge 'em more when they call again.)

Recently I did have a signing service tell me that THEY had had so much trouble with non-PDF downloads that they are no longer doing anything except PDFs! Who'da thunk it?!

Reply by Art_MD on 3/1/05 11:59am
Msg #23051

PDFs are usually the easiest and most forgiving of all formats.
When you printed, did you say print all? Sometimes if you have an image PDF, this can overload things. Did you try and print say 1-20 ? Sometimes doing in sections works. Also, if you had a lot of programs running it can slow things down.
If the standard adobe viewer comes up, you probably can do a file / save as and save to your computer. Then get off the web. click on the file and it should bring up adobe and you can print.

If you want me to check it out, you can forward the e-mail to me and I will try the link and see what I find out. [e-mail address]

Art

Reply by fiKS on 3/1/05 12:17pm
Msg #23062

Thanks Art - I emailed you....n/m

Reply by fiKS on 3/1/05 12:35pm
Msg #23065

I think I figured it out

I had 2 versions of Adobe Reader on my computer (v5 & v6). When I tried to print last night, I think v5 was the default version setup. I have deleted this version from my PC just a few moments ago and I tried the same doc with v6 without any problems. I thought when I downloaded v6 some time ago, it automatically upgraded from v5, not installed as a new program.

Thanks for everyones help. You guys are fabulous.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.