Notary Rotary
Power of Attorney
Notary Discussion History

Power of Attorney
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Stephanie on 2/8/05 4:59pm
Msg #19814

Power of Attorney

ACK!!! Im so new I haven't even opened my signing book and someone wants me to notarize a Power of Attorney tomorrow!! Can someone please step this newby through this??

Pweeeaassseee

Stephanie

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/8/05 5:07pm
Msg #19815

It would help if you let us know what state you are in. Always check your State manual for answers.

Ask the custodian if there is a page for the notary to sign, does the grantor have ID and will the grantor understand what they are signing. These are the first three questions that I ask when I am requested to do such a service.

Reply by Stephanie on 2/8/05 5:10pm
Msg #19816

This is what I know.. It's a husband and wife. He is granting power to his wife to be able to take care of some legal matters for him. He is a lawyer and his schedule is very bizzare. I am also in the state of California

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/8/05 5:21pm
Msg #19818

Look up "Limited POA" or "POA"in your CA manual. From what I remember about CA L-POA's they are pretty self explanitory, one page including cert. If the grantor is an atty., it should be prepared correctly. If it is a form type, make sure the signer checks all the boxes that apply.

Reply by Stephanie on 2/8/05 5:25pm
Msg #19819

I really hate being new, my questions must sound so elementary, but they are needed. I really don't want to mess up. Do I also have to fill out the Acknowledgement form or any other form along with the signing? Oh yes and thank you so much for your patience and assistance Becca

Reply by Art_MD on 2/9/05 7:48am
Msg #19900

I have done quite a few POAs. There is nothing special. The format may change depending on who draws it up. On a generic (or other with the option to select which POA powers are being granted) , which is available on the web, make sure the grantor checks AND initials the boxes next to the powers he is granting.

Art

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.