Notary Rotary
Quick Claim Deed
Notary Discussion History

Quick Claim Deed
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Alyssa Thibodeau on 2/21/05 9:32am
Msg #21600

Quick Claim Deed

I had a signing where the father is signing a quick claim deed over to his daughter. Is it ok for the daughter to witness the quick claim deed if she is the grantee? The father is the only person executing the document however the witness signed and she is the grantee. This is in the state of Florida? Please help asap?

Thank you

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/21/05 9:36am
Msg #21601

In my experience an witness to any document signing should be a disinterested person. If the daughter is the grantee to the "quit" deed, then I really don't think she should be a witness also, there would appear to be a conflict of interest.

Reply by Me on 2/21/05 9:50am
Msg #21602

NO, she can not sign as a witness, it is a conflit of interest.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/21/05 9:53am
Msg #21603

Quick = fast, expeditious

Quit = give up, surrender.

A quitclaim deed may be executed in a speedy fashion, but that doesn't change the nature of the document from one in which the grantor surrenders, or quits, his interest in property to another. Thus, you may have a quick quitclaim deed, if the transaction is done quite rapidly, but not a quickclaim deed.

A quickclaim is the sort of allegation my B&TEW would make about our sex life.

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/21/05 10:09am
Msg #21605

Re: QUIT Claim Deed, PLEASE...correct & easier to type, too!

This is right up there with the 'their, there, your, you're' discussion.

Reply by lawrenceOK on 2/21/05 10:18am
Msg #21607

Lee, Thar you go again!

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/21/05 11:35am
Msg #21613

Naw... I don't play spelling or grammar police very much! Hardly at all, really. Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/21/05 10:00am
Msg #21604

By Florida statutes, TWO witnesses are required. The witnesses must be DISINTERESTED THIRD PARTIES to the transaction. Therefore the grantee cannot be a witness to the signing of the QUIT Claim Deed.

You, the Notary Public can be the second witness to the signature, however, someone not associated with the transaction in anyway (this may be interpreted to exclude any household member) must be the first witness.

(Disclaimer: This is not legal advice and is not intended to be. For clarification and legal interpretation, seek qualified legal counsel.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.