Notary Rotary
R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson, Outlaw Journalist
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Jerry Brown on 2/22/05 7:23pm
Msg #21882

Hunter S. Thompson took muckraking to an outer edge in the early 1970s, when he was among the first to detect the rancid odor of White House corruption. His screeds against the sitting president were overwrought and tinged with paranoia, but Nixon’s resignation would vindicate his torrid animadversions. As California’s secretary of state, I had to yank the notary public commission of Nixon’s personal lawyer. It seems that he notarized a backdated deed of Nixon’s papers so that the president could qualify for a charitable deduction—illegally. These were unusual times.

Reply by Paul @ SigningZ.com on 2/22/05 7:24pm
Msg #21883

I posted the above quote although Governor Brown is the author.

Reply by Teasa/NY on 2/22/05 7:47pm
Msg #21889

Good one Paul. I don't usually "go there" with the personal stuff on these boards and he was a crazy sob but I was truly saddened by his passing which was of course on his crazy terms. Will miss his wit and razor sharp intellegence and of course the gonzo lit. Pretty cool info about Jerry and Nixon; who knew.

Reply by ZLee_Califia on 2/22/05 8:16pm
Msg #21892

I agree, re HST. He's proof of how much indeed truth hurts. To date, I'm still wondering about the "demise" of Martha Mitchell. Inquiring minds would like to know if Jerry Brown wasn't in fact "the" 'Deep Throat.' Thanks for the interesting relevation of this post.
....May truth reign supreme.....

P.S. Truth surely is the "outlaw" of today's society.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.