Notary Rotary
Re: fingerprinting - nope, not what you think
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Ted_MI on 2/22/05 5:03pm
Msg #21856

I received a call yesterday afternoon from a gentleman in New Jersey. Apparently he was expanding a data base of potential independent contractors. Asked if I did fingerprinting. Wanting to be open-minded to potential new business, I said "sure, I do fingerprinting". Well, it wasn't what I and you all probably would have thought - not fingerprinting in conjunction with some sort of notarial services. It was just fingerprinting. And not just the right thumb as on the NNA journal but the whole nine yards (or maybe I should say ten yards), i.e all the digits on both hands on some sort of card. I gathered this is part of some pre-employment background check. He inquired if I was strictly a mobile "notary", and I indicated that I was, but i guess that would not be a problem as this is usually done at a potential employer's office.

He told me the process doesn't take very long - maybe ten minutes per person. And I guess the pay range is $2 to $15 per card as well as a travel fee. He wondered how much I would charge. I told him that it would depend upon a number of variables: how far away it was; time of day; how many people I would be able to finger print, etc. So anyway the bottom line was I got entered into his data base.

I was just wondering - has anyone ever done this before? Can you use say an NNA ink pad or do you need some special ink pad? Any other equipment needed? Any other thoughts? TIA

Reply by ashok on 2/22/05 5:45pm
Msg #21861

what i know finger printing is done at Sherrif Office or County Office. U can notarize a finger print card

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 2/22/05 6:05pm
Msg #21868

You need a portable fingerprinting kit and plenty of fingerprint cards. The NNA sells them. You can market your services to gun stores that hold concealed weapons permit classes and offer the fingerprinting and notarizing the application. Many times the gun stores have their own notary. You can charge $15.00 for the fingerprinting and $10.00 for the Notarization. Also Real Estate classes need a notary for the application and fingerprinting. Sometimes these classes have 40-50 people. These classes start up everywhere at different times all over town. I have taken both the concealed weapons class and the Real Estate Course. I handed out my business card to both

Reply by Gerry_VT on 2/22/05 6:31pm
Msg #21874

I had to get fingerprints when I applied for a teaching license. They had to be done by a law enforcement officer. Also, they were used for a background check, not just put in a file cabinet, so every now and then you would hear about a student teacher who had to start the background check process over again because the quality of the fingerprints was not high enough.

That must have been quite stressful for the applicants, because getting a teaching license in the 3 months between finishing the teacher education courses and the beginning of school is difficult enough when everything goes right. I sure wouldn't want to be the one who took an inadequate set of prints.

If you pursue this, you might want to learn a great deal about the requirements of each organization that requires prints, so that you don't drive to a client, read the fine print, and find out you do not meet the requirements to take prints for that particular organization.

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/22/05 10:49pm
Msg #21924

Re: fingerprinting - Is there a market for this?

Just wondering with the advent of "Livescan" finger printing, which is available at most police/sheriff's offices and now at some private facilities, is there a market for the old fashioned finger printing service?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.