Notary Rotary
Recordation of DOT
Notary Discussion History

Recordation of DOT
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Art_MD on 2/3/05 10:52am
Msg #19320

Recordation of DOT

Has anyone done recordations on a regular basis? I've done 3 or 4. In general, how does an out of state title company/lender get the deed recorded? Is it by mail?

TIA Art

Reply by Lee/AR on 2/3/05 11:03am
Msg #19323

Only done it twice. Both were Business loans. I'm thinking that 'somebody is more concerned about rapid recording on a business' than with 'just folks'. Probably just mail those in. Anybody really know?? 'Splain, please.

Reply by Julie-MI on 2/3/05 12:03pm
Msg #19329

They arrive 4 ways

1. In person, this is good as documents are proofread for state compliance before they hit the "reject" pile. You will obtain receipt and sometimes the recording numbers i.e. liber and page number (liber not to be confused with libor). Smiley The clerk will tell you what's wrong and calculate the recording fee and you pay the fee.

2. Local title companies will offer this service. This offers the same in person service, with the recording dept. personnel of that title company. This is great for the outstate lender, as the docs are often proofed before the recorders office so there. Local title companies know the laws and if I was a lender, this is the way I would do it. Local title will call the lender and make the corrections so it will be recorded the first time around.

3. US Mail: The mail room of the county brings in totes of mail to be opened by the recorders office. In my county, mail gets less priority than walk-ins. Often these envelopes are huge as they are filled with hundreds of mortgage discharges, mortgage assignments and only one check. If there is one error in the packages, they go to the bottom of the pile as a letter needs to go out explaining the error. The experienced clerk will know which lenders are more prone to errors ( in my day Comerica and Huntington Bank were the worst) and would be open last. Then you get the do-it-yourselfer quit claim deeds, written in pencil and not notarized or even vaguely compliant with state laws. Or the instruments that came in with no recording fees. If the office is really busy, the mail is stamped with the date it came in, but may not be opened until days later.

4. FedEx and UPS docs: Slightly better than regular mail. If the clerks are not too busy, these usually record on the received. Again, if there is an error, they go to the bottom of the pile to await a what's wrong with this doc letter. Often outstate lenders or title companies will track the package to the recorders office and think the doc was recorded, but sometimes it's not. The only guaranteed doc to get recorded the same day, is a claim of lien.

For those that don't "know" me, I worked for my county's register of deeds office for 7 years.

Reply by Loretta Reed on 2/3/05 3:56pm
Msg #19352

Re: They arrive 4 ways

Most of the counties in Maryland do not have "instant recording". They go into a pile and will be recorded or rejected in a first come first serve. It may take 15 minutes or 2 days for the clerk to get to the deeds of trusts to record, depending on how many are ahead of you.
I charge the title company every time I have to re-submit a deed of trust for recording, they should get it right the first time.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.