Notary Rotary
Reverse Mortgage
Notary Discussion History

Reverse Mortgage
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 2/23/05 8:32pm
Msg #22067

Reverse Mortgage

I had my first reverse mortgage signing this morning. The couple were in their mid-80's. Signing took 1-1/2 hrs. I left the signing with new knowledge of different loan docs, as well as a new-found patience and respect. There is no "in-out" with reverse mortgages. Their eyesight and hearing is not that of someone 30, 40 or 50 years younger. You have to watch them like a hawk when signing -- pointing out where to sign, first as I handed them each document, and again showing them *exactly* the spot when the page was on the table in front of them. They don't trust calculators, but instead figure all the calculations manually by hand, with a pen no less, and every page that had figures on it, needed to be calculated.

I'm going to call my own Mom tonight, not quite as old as this couple, just to tell her I love her.

Reply by Laura_CA on 2/23/05 8:43pm
Msg #22069

Those reverse mortgages bring a whole new meaning to paying attention to detail and having the patience of a saint.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/23/05 9:21pm
Msg #22076

Thanks for sharing Carolyn. I actually enjoy doing rev morts. I do schedule extra time for them.

But, thus far, I have had only one rev mort which was lengthy. The rest were "Let's hurry so we can watch Wheel of Fortune," or "I have to meet my friends at the funeral home. One of our friends died and we are going to drop in, and then go out to eat. Gotta get to square dancing by 7."

There was one evening I was entertained by the tales of a retired postman. Said back in the early 60's he did the daily USPS Mail run between Freeport and Houston.

He noticed he was being closely followed on certain days and he finally got worried. Talked to his supervisor and found out some of the parcels he was moving on his route were boxes of money...a half a million dollar payroll in cash for Dow Chemical twice a month. He was being followed by Dow Security--that'd be similar to Deputy Dog and Barney Fife riding shotgun.

Nice people at Rev Morts appointments.

Reply by janCA on 2/24/05 2:59pm
Msg #22206

I sooooo enjoy reverse mortgages and yes, I always schedule about 1 1/2 hrs. for them. The people are all so dear and just love to talk about their lives. I usually end the signing with a hug. Many are very lonely.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.