Notary Rotary
To start a buisness
Notary Discussion History

To start a buisness
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by MANotary on 2/16/05 11:03am
Msg #20772

To start a buisness

Okay I live in Massachusetts and I am a commissioned Notary Public.

If I get a call from a signing company and I accept to take it and charge 100.00 bucks can I get in trouble because I don't have a licensed business.

If I use my name, "Sandra Kim", and put that towards a buisness name like Sandra Kim & Associates, am I engaging in illegal business?

Where would I indicate the amount of income I recieved on my Taxes?

Reply by Bobbi in CT on 2/16/05 11:50am
Msg #20791

A "Mass business" ..

You should check with someone in Massachusetts. I believe you comissioning office can actually give you an answer on this one (as there was so much publicity and revisions to the Governor's order).

I believe non-attorneys can do loan refinance signings if they work "under the supervision of an attorney" [independent contractor accepting signings through an attorney's office] or are an "employee" of a lender [you are on the payroll, not an independent contractor].

It is not a matter of being a "licensed business." It is how the Governor and the state interpreted what and what not can be performed by non-attorneys in connection with mortgage loans. The NSAs I know that are working work through an attorney's office.

Not 100% familiar with the technicalities in Mass, just know that the rules changed last year.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/16/05 12:39pm
Msg #20812

I too am a notary public working in massachusetts. My buisness name is Korey Humphreys & Associates because in MA you don't have to register a business name if it has your own within it.

When you file your taxes you should include it on the line that states other income. However if you earn money quite often, then you should just fill out the self-employed form. I'm not sure what the form names are, however, next to the form number it should have the title that's self explanatory.

Reply by Anonymous on 2/16/05 3:02pm
Msg #20847

That would be a Schedule C on your Federal Return (Self-Employed Income).

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.