Notary Rotary
Windows Service Pack II
Notary Discussion History

Windows Service Pack II
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Joan-OH on 2/12/05 8:04am
Msg #20353

Windows Service Pack II

A few months ago this came out and there was some rumblings about glitches - fixes and someone even said they couldn't print docs. Needless to say, because I do a lot of edocs, I have avoided updating my Windows XP with the service pack II.

Everyday, all day, I get this little box in the bottom right hand corner telling me "updates are available" which I promptly click out of. Has anyone had any further issues with this update? Is it safe? I was thinking of updating today so if it totally messes up my computer, I have the weekend to get back to where I was. :-)

Computer, Printer, Car - I would be unemployed without any one of them and hesitate to do anything that would harm any of them.

Joan-OH

Reply by HisHughness on 2/12/05 8:10am
Msg #20354

I run XP, and have delayed updating for the same reason, Joan. I'll be interested in the answer. The last time I had a techie out -- when I was told to junk my old computer and start over -- he indicated I didn't need SP II; why, I don't remember.

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/12/05 8:29am
Msg #20358

I tried installing SP2 three times and each time the same result. CRASH! I could not open OE, word, works, etc. Each time I ended up having to do a system restore. I don't know what the problem is but, I too deal with the reminder bubble all day long.

Reply by kmnotary_CA on 2/12/05 8:35am
Msg #20359

I bought a new computer, and installed the serbvice pack ii. My computer guy told me to install it, so I did Smiley. I didn't crash and can still do everything. I forgot why I was supposed to do it, but decided to follow directions this time. The only problem I have is my firewall goes crazy every time I update something.

Reply by kmnotary_CA on 2/12/05 8:51am
Msg #20361

Sorry about all the typos, guess I should drink the first cup of coffee before typing!

Reply by Gerry_VT on 2/12/05 8:45am
Msg #20360

I do not do e-docs; indeed, I am not an NSA, I just do notarizations for friends, coworkers, students, and parents at the school where I work. I am interested in documents and computer security, and I wish to do my notarizations correctly, which is why I follow this board.

I installed Service Pack 2 to Windows XP Professional without any problem. However, I went to the web site of the manufacturer of my computer and printer (they are both HP) and read HP's instructions about how to update the Service Pack 1 version of the operating system before the upgrade. I also waited a month after the last change to these instructions to let
them "settle down".

If I had an old computer, I might not install the upgrade;
I would be concerned that the manufacturer would be
out of business, or would not be providing updates
for older computers.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 2/12/05 9:34am
Msg #20363

I run XP pro with the servicepack II and have had only 1 problem (kow) I am running 2 printers and the problem was with the old HP T45 drivers. SPII would not recognize them. I had to download them from HP and no problems now.

Reply by HARRY_PA on 2/12/05 9:51am
Msg #20366

ALSO NO PROBLEMS WITH SP 2. INSTALLED IT AS SOON AS IT BECAME AVAILABLE.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/13/05 1:58pm
Msg #20507

Hi there Joan... I am running XP with sp2 and have had no problems. My hubby installed it. He is a Director of IT and although it presented no problems here, he did mention several of the same problems encountered at the 'enterprise' level. HP is notorious for proprietary hardware, so all the latest drivers must also be applied. SP2 also has many many security patches, so to facilitate the install, you have to disable any personal firewall/anti virus/pop-up blocking..etc.

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/13/05 5:43pm
Msg #20536

Joan-OH

I have a service pack II on my computer I run windows XP. When I first installed SPII I had all kinds of problems. Then a friend of mine who is a cert. tech on windows products came over to my home and took out all the programs that run with VAT32 after that I have had no problems.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/13/05 10:43pm
Msg #20546

Lady Rouge has XP on her PC; I've got XP Pro on my laptop. Both were updated, and continue to be. Once you update to SP II, you must continue to apply the patches. SP II fixed some problems and created others.

Most of the problems I've enountered won't be seen by end users. The device drivers for printers, etc., are an exception. Always go to the manufacturers' Sites to get the latest and greatest. Don't rely on the CD (or floppy) that came with the equipment!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.