Notary Rotary
advanced health care
Notary Discussion History

advanced health care
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Dellaca on 2/7/05 4:58pm
Msg #19661

advanced health care

I recieved a call to notarize an advanced health care request this is what he called it , he said it had a place for a notary to acknowledge it. Any ideas ,what first comes to mind is a living will but I would not be able to do this if he has not seen an attorney.
Have you heard of an advanced health request ? He said it was for his wife an himself.
thanks

Reply by Lopez0351 on 2/7/05 5:03pm
Msg #19663

Well it never hurts to ask, so why not ask them:
1) What is it? What's it for?
2) Has an attorney reviewed it?
It may just be part of some health insurance package. But you won't know till you ask them. If they seem confused about it, have them consult an attorney.

Reply by Lopez0351 on 2/7/05 5:04pm
Msg #19664

Well it never hurts to ask, so why not ask them:
1) What is it? What's it for?
2) Has an attorney reviewed it?
It may just be part of some health insurance package. But you won't know till you ask them. If they seem confused about it, have them consult an attorney or at least the issuer, but I would strongly suggest an attorney.

Reply by Lopez0351 on 2/7/05 5:05pm
Msg #19665

LOL First one was a mistake n/m

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/7/05 5:09pm
Msg #19666

I think you might mean an advanced health care directive a/k/a "DNR" or Do Not Recesitate (sp). I do them frequently here in Florida.

Reply by Ted_MI on 2/7/05 5:14pm
Msg #19668

Re: that was my thought too (nm)

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 2/7/05 5:33pm
Msg #19677

Advance Directives is what the person is referring to and a will normally does not appear with this. This is just a request to no have any extraordinary measures done to resuscitate the signer.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/7/05 6:42pm
Msg #19687

Advance Health Care Directive

An advance directive is a legal document, written before the signer has an incapacitating illness, that allows them to state their preferences about medical care. Most states recognize two forms of advance directives: A Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and a Living Will.

The PofA is the document in which the signer names another person to act as their heath care agent to make medical decisions on the signer's behalf.

The Living Will instructs the doctor to give no (or limited) life-sustaining treatment if you have a terminal condition or are permanently unconscious. Some states (like NH) includes directives on artificial feeding and hydration.

While both documents are not required, it is a good idea to have both because they serve two different purposes.

Reply by DellaCa on 2/7/05 6:43pm
Msg #19688

Thank You My thought also.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/8/05 12:14am
Msg #19724

"Living will" or "Advance Directive"

Each state has different rules. In CT, we cannot notarize wills not drawn up by an attorney. The Notary Public Manual does state, however, "Notaries may take acknowledgments in connection with [living wills] using the usual procedures for that notarial act."

Just for your info, NOT to be discussed with the maker of a living will: Don't depend on the directions in your living will being followed to the letter. Some families have been known to "forget" that the document exists. Check with an attorney in your state before you make yours!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.