Notary Rotary
contacted directly by borrower
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by fiKS on 2/22/05 9:14pm
Msg #21903

I received a call today, directly from a borrower to notarize HELOC docs tomorrow. It's the first time I've been contacted directly by the borrower and I'm wondering how the title company got out of this loop. Which makes me wonder if we should also be marketing ourselves directly to the public as notary signing agents. Buyers save money by hiring notaries directly.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 2/22/05 9:50pm
Msg #21907

Of course, market yourself to the general public!
I've received quite a few requests from borrowers.

Reply by fiKS on 2/22/05 9:54pm
Msg #21911

Yes, I certainly will! I presume borrowers tell their LO that they will arrange for the docs to be notarized on their own instead of paying the title/escrow $300-$400?

Reply by Kris H on 2/22/05 10:00pm
Msg #21915

Any suggestions on the proper way to offer your services to the general public? I have ink pens with my contact info on it that I give to the people I do signings for. I have business cards I pass out but do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Reply by Mystiquera on 2/22/05 10:34pm
Msg #21920

I would also appreciate any tips regarding marketing. I didn't realize that borrowers can request and seek their own notary signing agents! I also got business cards and thought I would forward to the companies that used me. But now I know I should pass them out more generously!

Reply by Roger/OH on 2/22/05 10:52pm
Msg #21925

Several companies have borrowers find their own notaries, such as Wells Fargo. You need to remember that in this situation, you're not contracted by an ss, so the signing falls into the realm of general notary work. You can negotiate with the borrower whether they just want you to handle the notarized docs (for state fees and your travel costs) or to go thru the whole package with them for an agreed upon fee, including making sure the RTC is correct, sigs/initials in right places, dower situations, etc.

Reply by Christine/IL on 2/23/05 11:02am
Msg #21986

I have received quite a bit of work lately this way. When I ask they say they found my website on the internet. My website has paid for itself many times over.

Reply by Christie on 2/23/05 12:47pm
Msg #22005

They should not be contacting you, because there has to be a title company or an attorney rep. the lender

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.