Notary Rotary
e-docs/e-mailed docs
Notary Discussion History

e-docs/e-mailed docs
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 2:00pm
Msg #22749

e-docs/e-mailed docs

OK, I know I am going to get a bashing on this one but I want to learn the lingo (and no, I didn't go searching for it so bash away).

What is the difference between "e-mailed docs and e-docs"? I thought they were the same.
And, I would still have to print two copies, one for the borrowers (I've only done refi's) and one to send back, so would $30 be appropriate regardless of which I accepted?

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/27/05 2:07pm
Msg #22751

They are the same.OMG $30.00...braising my self for the reaction.

Reply by Paul/MD on 2/27/05 2:16pm
Msg #22752

They are really not the same....

emailed docs are docs which are emailed via a PDF file ...... edocs can be docs which you logon to a site to retrieve....

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 2:22pm
Msg #22754

To my computer-wise mind, this does make sense to me!
Mysti

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/27/05 2:23pm
Msg #22755

Re: e-docs/e-mailed docs..

OPPS! I have been refearing to bouth as e-doc's. You live and learn

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/27/05 2:17pm
Msg #22753

Email docs are a type of e-docs. Generally, when you see an "e-" before a word, it mean "electronic". Such as "e-commerce", "e-notarization", etc. The electronic is the computer part of the puzzle which passes the information "electronically". Email is one form of this electronic distribution of information.

Typically, emailed docs will be sent as a file attachment to an email. Such files are often in PDF format, but there are others as well, including DOC (Microsoft Word) format, PRN which is printer format for PCL printers. There are many other.

Another way to receive docs is to download them from document warehouses. In these situations you usually get an email with a link to the document warehouse. You then enter some identification (user name, file name, etc.) and a password. The entry "code words" will be provided to you in the email. You log on to the site referenced in the link in the email, and either download the file to your PC for printing or print directly from the web.

Documents for "e-docs" are often called digital docs too. As they are digital representations of the documents and transmitted digitally via the modem. Unlike fax machines which transmit analog representations of the documents via a fax modem which uses analog signals instead of digital codes. (But this is probably much more teckno-babble than you wanted to know.)

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 2:25pm
Msg #22757

Possibly, but it truly helps understanding, which I want to do. I've received them both ways. So thank you!

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/27/05 3:48pm
Msg #22769

In regards to your fee which no so far has mentioned I've only read a few.

You should charge your base fee + $35.00 for the additional work.

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 9:02pm
Msg #22784

Well Finally

I must be on the right track for Florida then if no one bashed me for the $30 e-docs, huh?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/27/05 10:01pm
Msg #22794

Re: Well Finally

Why bash you? I personally do not do $30 edocs, but $45-50 generally. Some packages, that I know are small, print fast and always work and are on time and without any hassle, I will charge less.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/28/05 8:22am
Msg #22820

Re: Well Finally

Thanks, PAW. I probably cannot charge that here (I'm in Miami) but someone mentioned making it part of the flat fee. I think though, in the future, I'm going to try someone's suggestion of saying "what do you pay" then take the negotiations from there.

Thanks again,
Mysti

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/27/05 2:28pm
Msg #22759

PAW, can you elaborate a little on PRN and PCL? I'm FAIRLY tech savvy, but not familiar with these acronyms.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/27/05 2:56pm
Msg #22762

You may receive files that have "funny" extensions. PRN is a generic "printer file", that is usually assigned by some application when you "print to file".

PCL is "Page Control Language", or "Printer Control Language", or "Printer Command Language", depending on who you talk to. At any rate, it is the language HP developed, uses and licenses to other manufacturers, for printing digital documents on their printers. Document files created for printing on PCL enabled printers (only laser printers are PCL compatible above PCL version 4) will print quickly as the PCL driver does very little to convert the file so the printer itself can print the data. With non-HP printers, that use a PCL emulator, the driver actually interprets the PCL into something that the printer will understand. Only HP printers have PCL engines "native" to the printer.

Other file extensions that you may see are ELX (eLynx), DTX (DT Print), BLK (Doc Master), and many others.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/27/05 3:01pm
Msg #22763

Thanks for the info! So is it anything like PostScript?

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/27/05 3:23pm
Msg #22766

Well, the result is the same. That is, the purpose of PCL and PostScript is to be able to efficiently format and render a page on the printer. In that regard, yes they are similar.

However, the PostScript PDL (Page Description Language) was originally developed by Xerox over 20 years ago. It is an English based language that programmers used to print forms and documents. When you look at the languages for a printer, you will often see PS2, PS-II, or PostScript Level 2. On laser printers, you will find drivers for PostScript as well as PCL.

And now, a word from our sponsors (and nothing but printer trivia) ....

One of the brilliant engineers working at Xerox was John Warnock. He developed a language called "Interpress" that could be used to control Xerox laser printers. He and his boss, Charles M. 'Chuck' Geschke, tried for two years to convince Xerox to turn Interpress into a commercial product. When this failed, they decided to leave Xerox and try it on their own. Guess what the result was?

John Warnock and Chuck Geschke named their company Adobe, after a little creek that ran behind the house of Warnock in Los Altos, California. You sometimes see it mentioned in wine guides on maps of Napa Valley where some of the most famous Californian wines are made.

At first, Warnock and Geschke thought of building a really powerful printer themselves but they soon realized that it would make more sense to develop tools for other manufacturers to control their printers.

It took Adobe 20 man-years to develop PostScript, a language that can be used to control output devices like laser printers.

So now they have built the better mousetrap, but there's no market for it....yet..

A computer linked to a powerful laser printer would not have made much of an impact but Apple and Adobe were fortunate enough to stumble upon a third partner, a small startup company that had created an application to utilize the Mac and LaserWriter to their full extent. The company was called Aldus and their software product was called PageMaker.

Desktop publishing was born and within a year, the combination of the LaserWriter, PostScript and PageMaker saved Apple and turned Aldus and Adobe into rich companies. Linotype was the first graphic arts supplier to recognize the value of PostScript and offer an imagesetter with its own PostScript RIP. Other manufacturers soon followed and PostScript quickly became the lingua franca of the prepress world.

PostScript is probably the most widespread "printer language" in use commercially today. Just about all prepress applications use PostScript. PCL, on the other hand, has probably become the most widespread "language" in the home, business and non-publishing environments. But even then, Adobe PageMaker (formerly Aldus PageMaker) and many other true desktop publishing applications are used by corporate America in their internal prepress operations.

Reply by Slarty_FL on 2/27/05 3:41pm
Msg #22768

Awesome info, thanks. I actually had a desktop publishing business YEARS ago and ran Aldus PageMaker 1.0 on a Mac SE with a LaswerWriter IINT! Smiley

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 2/27/05 5:06pm
Msg #22775

PAW_FL - You are a wealth of information - thank you!

I just want to thank you for all the excellent information you share on ALL the boards. You even go to the extent of repeating yourself many times just to help those who are new (or forget). To those of us who read your responses over again, all I can say is repetition is good!

I'll bet if all your responses to the many questions asked were printed, you'd have a book to sell.

Thank you for caring and sharing.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/27/05 11:26pm
Msg #22801

LaTeX, anyone?

Leslie Lampert created a sort of preprocessor for Knuth's TeX. When I wrote and edited manuals I found it easy for a programmer's mind to get around in it, and produce graphics as well as well-formatted text.

It's been enough years now that I couldn't format anything. Now I use HTML instead.

Reply by CA_EJ on 2/28/05 1:23am
Msg #22807

Thank you so much for the information! I printed out all your instructions, as I am new and need all the tech help that anyone can offer.

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/28/05 3:02am
Msg #22811

PAW

pardon a Newbee's question which I could probably look up but how did you become such a wealth of information? I really appriciate your insight into things. Also how long have you been in the Loan Signing Business?

Reggie
Kansas

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/28/05 10:23pm
Msg #22955

>>> ... how did you become such a wealth of information? <<<

Age, treachery, deceit and cunning. Smiley

Okay, how abut inquisitiveness, desire, and age.

(Notice that "age" is mentioned in both scenarios.)

Reply by fiKS on 2/27/05 2:28pm
Msg #22758

You will need these e-doc viewers. So, keep these links in your "favorites"

http://tonymangone.50megs.com/docviewers.html
http://closingplus.com/download.asp

Reply by Wander/CA on 2/27/05 2:37pm
Msg #22760

Re: e-docs/e-mailed docs- Thank you, fiKS! n/m

Much obliged

Reply by Mysti_FL on 2/27/05 2:43pm
Msg #22761

Thanks fi, for sharing. That was nice of you to put that together and give it out!
Mysti

Reply by ERNA_CA on 2/27/05 4:09pm
Msg #22771

Thank you Fi. lost all mine when i lost my computer. Slowly getting them back. This helps.
Thank you Smiley

Reply by John_NorCal on 2/27/05 8:04pm
Msg #22780

Re: e-docs/e-mailed docs Thanks Again!

That is what I like about this forum! PAW's info was a good bit of history. fiks sharing of the e-doc viewer links, saved me posting a question, which was what I was about to do. Thanks to those who share info, stories, laughs and insights!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.