Notary Rotary
no seal
Notary Discussion History

no seal
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by kathy on 2/14/05 10:20am
Msg #20563

no seal

i had speration papers signed and notarized with a witness and an seal my husband had his attorney as witness an a notary sign with everything except a seal are the papers vaild...

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/14/05 10:24am
Msg #20564

You haven't said what state you are in.

In CT: Yes, the papers would be valid because all that is needed is the notary's name, signature, and commission expiration date for a valid notarial act.

Reply by kathy on 2/14/05 10:45am
Msg #20566

thank you..................

Reply by kathy on 2/14/05 10:46am
Msg #20567

maryland

Reply by kathy- md on 2/14/05 12:08pm
Msg #20581

is the answer the same for maryland

Reply by Art_MD on 2/14/05 12:40pm
Msg #20585

In the handbook see section III paragraph 22 - it says "affix seal", so it is required. Also, note it says the name must be printed below the signature. Not always a line on all the documents.

Also, for reference, section 18 covers real estate closings.

web is www/sos.state.md.us/notary/notary.pdf for pdf of the handbook

Art

Reply by Gerry_VT on 2/14/05 5:20pm
Msg #20602

The original post does not say in what state the document without a seal was notarized. It is possible the state where it was notarized might not require a seal. It is possible that Maryland might accept a notarization from a different state without a seal, if the laws of the state where the notarization occurred were followed. I mention this because my state, Vermont, does not require seals, and does accept notarizations from other states or countries if the local laws were followed.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.