Notary Rotary
paper shredders
Notary Discussion History

paper shredders
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 9:19am
Msg #21013

paper shredders

is there such an animal that is cheap and quiet?
Does everybody use them?

Reply by Art_MD on 2/17/05 9:25am
Msg #21014

Re: paper shredders - a must

I don't notice the sound. Got a decent one for <$75.

I use it because of liability re: privacy. If a closing goes bust, what do you do with the docs? There is a lot of personal info there. If you threw it out and someone got a hold of it from your trash, you could be in legal trouble. I shread it. Also, all those credit card offers, loan offers, etc you get in the mail contain info you don't want in the regular trash - which ends up in a landfill but still is legible. Same thing with old tax returns, bank statements, medical info etc.

A good investment - and tax deductable.

Art

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 9:36am
Msg #21017

Re: paper shredders - a must

thanks...I haven't needed to shred a set yet, but I'm getting tired of ripping papers up and getting paper cuts Smiley

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/17/05 9:29am
Msg #21015

I have been looking into this recently. As far as a home shredder goes, they are cheap but, only shred up to 6 pages at a time. I have sat for hours shredding docs for a signing that has cancelled. I found a solution with a local document storage co. The Co. offers two ways for small bus. to destroy "NPPI."

1) For $25 per month they will supply a locking container at your location and come 1x per month to destroy the contents.

2) You can bring the docs to their location and they will destroy @ a rate of .12 per pound/$30 minimum.

Reply by Dave_CA on 2/17/05 9:37am
Msg #21018

Since burning is out of the question here I have been using one for a while. I recently bought the Fellowes PS70-2CD.
It is rated to shred 15 pages at a pass and will also shed the CDs I use for back up and credit cards. It is resonably quiet and cost about $75 or $80.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 10:00am
Msg #21026

Thanks!...n/m

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/17/05 9:38am
Msg #21020

that's interesting, never heard of that before.
I'm not big enough yet to shred pounds lol

Reply by calipat on 2/17/05 10:07am
Msg #21028

I just have my own home paper shredder. Makes noise, not too loud though, but I put my son to shred stuff once every two weeks and he gets a little $$ from me. He likes it and so do I since I hate hearing the sound of a shredder.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/17/05 11:06am
Msg #21035

An alternative to your own paper shredders

http://www.shipnshred.com/home/index.php

Reply by Shane_IN on 2/17/05 11:13am
Msg #21037

Re: An alternative to your own paper shredders

So you are suggesting sending private confidential consumer information to another 3rd party to shred for you? Seems to me that leaves open the possibility of someone viewing that information thereby a breach of the GLB act...

Of course, its probably not going to happen....BUT.... worst case scenario here...

Reply by PAW_Fl on 2/17/05 12:09pm
Msg #21042

I have more faith in sending a sealed box via FedEx to be shredded by a bonded and insured shredding service than I do in emailing loan documents to a Kinko for printing.

It's basically the same as sending a FedEx package to the title company or lender. Anyone along the line can have access to the contents. That's why they don't open the box. At least with this process, there's a paper trail of the process. You package it, so you should document what's in the box. FedEx picks up the package and logs it in. They track it during shipment. They show it being signed for at the destination. S'n'S then shreds it and provides you with a report of receipt and disposition. They shred everything, box and all. Even hard drives, CDs, E-PROMs and other computer components.

Reply by Paul_IL on 2/18/05 8:57pm
Msg #21298

An even better alternative is a Fireplace or firepit

Reply by BarbaraM_CA on 2/17/05 7:47pm
Msg #21118

I shred then I compost, so last night's documents nourish next summer's tomatoes.
Whoops! I'm in California, I mean next summer's alfalfa and bean sprouts!

Reply by Becca/FL on 2/17/05 8:03pm
Msg #21120

I used to shred and take the remains to the SPCA. They would use the shredded paper for animal bedding in cages.

Reply by calipat/ca on 2/17/05 8:17pm
Msg #21122

Good idea Becca thanks for the info on that . I am going to find out if they will take the shredded docs at the animal shelters here. My kids like going so I will send them after they shred it.

Reply by CarolynCO on 2/17/05 9:19pm
Msg #21125

Cheryl,
I'm on my sixth shredder since 1992. I'm constantly using a shredder because of my attorney work, especially bankruptcy attorneys. I don't want to be responsible for client credit card numbers or social security numbers. I also shred all our personal stuff, and now loan signing docs. The latest one I just bought last week at Sams. It is a Royal commercial cross cut and it was $125.00. It also shreds credit cards and CDs. The one before it lasted three years and was a Fellows cross but that I got at one of the office supply stores,i.e., either Office Depot, Office Max and I think it was $75 or so. The four before these were cheap, personal shredders that definitely lacked in quality. Only 4-6 sheets could be fed through at a time, they overheated, and the end paper product was less than desirable.

I've learned that it is less costly to pay more initially and get a good quality shredder than to get a cheap one that you only have problems with and hate each time you u se it.

Reply by Charm_AL on 2/18/05 8:24am
Msg #21149

Thanks guys...

good idea on the cost issue...
You get what ya pay for

Reginald - I love this town, still trying to get used to Redstone's blowing things up all the time. I hear they ship all the weapons and ammunition from Iraq here to be detroyed.
The other day my windows shook!

Reply by Reginald Wilks on 2/17/05 10:04pm
Msg #21128

Charm AL

I have one and it sounds like a tank when you put the paper in.

I looked your profile to see where in AL your from well I grew up not far from where you are.

I am from a little town called Pisgah. Which is close to Scottsboro. My mother and sister live between Hollywood and Stevenson.

Reginald Wilks

Reply by Ernest_CT on 2/17/05 10:38pm
Msg #21131

Get a cross cut.

Shredders have come a long way. So have the identity thieves. The strip shredders still allow people to re-assemble docs. The crosscut shredders make it much more difficult.

Echoing, in this business go for the higher-quality unit once rather than being in pain for the short time until you have to buy another.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.