question on affidavits/loose cert.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by 1st signing/ca on 2/5/05 1:34am
Msg #19481

I did my first signing tonight.

scenerio 1; I had two Signature/Name Affidavits in my package. I attached One Jurat for both affidavits, was this correct??

Scenerio 2; On the All-Purpose/Losose Cert, under optional information at the bottom left; Representing:______________________
(under line verbage) Name(s) or entity(ies) Signer is representing

I put the borrowers name here, was this correct??

Reply by janCA on 2/5/05 12:43pm
Msg #19510

Two separate sign/name afds, then there are two separate Jurats. One for each. Two line-items in your book.

Was the signer (borrower) represeting himself (individual) or was he/she representing a company, partner, etc.? It's subjective.

Reply by Korey Humphreys on 2/6/05 11:47am
Msg #19563

You should include a loose notarial certficate for every signed document you need to notarize. Hypotheticaly, you could have one person sign 20 documents. Each time you notarize his/her signature on those 20 documents, you must add a notarial certificate.

However, if you notarize just one person's signature for all 20 documents, then you need to only add one listing in your Notary Public journal, making sure that you list the fact of the 20 documents before you.

If more then one person exists, then you need to name them separately. Believe me, from personal expierence, when I first started out as a notary public I accidentially messed up on my first "assignment". And, as my luck would have it, I was called to the local court house to testify as to my witnessing of the document. To make a long story short, the judge nicely told me in private that I should record everybody present. Sometimes even the people not named in the doucment. Anyone seeing the person sign his name, should also be listed in your journal. It's for your protection.

Thankfully, the judge was understanding and accepted my testimony as a public officer, not "dowing" me in open court, and suggested that I get it right the next time (not in open court). THANK GOD FOR THAT!!! I thought I was going to be reported and lose my commission.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.