Notary Rotary
what to put here?
Notary Discussion History

what to put here?
Go Back to February, 2005 Index

Posted by Cyndra_CA on 2/12/05 4:01pm
Msg #20398

what to put here?

OK, so, on an Owner's Affidavit, where I date, name the signers and stamp, there is one blank that I'm not 100% sure what word goes in there. Here's the wording: On the 12th day of Feb, 2005 before me personally came Jane and John Doe to me known to be the individuals described in andwho executed the forgoing instrument, and acknowledgement that _______ executed the same. What goes in the _____?? They???
Thanks.

Reply by Ninna Mantooth-Lopez on 2/12/05 4:12pm
Msg #20400

yes, "they"... or in the case of individuals... he/she (nm)

Reply by susan/oh on 2/12/05 4:12pm
Msg #20401

Put in "they"

Reply by Cyndra_CA on 2/12/05 4:38pm
Msg #20404

Thanks!! I thought so, but I'm second guessing myself like crazy. I need a few under my belt and I'll be fine. Thanks so much to you both for your help!! Have a great weekend!

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/12/05 9:17pm
Msg #20429

Sigh. That is not legal California notary acknowledgement wording. You need to attach a loose acknowledgement to notarize. That you don't know how to properly notarize a document means that you should not be doing loan signings yet. Being a notary is not incidental to being a signing agent.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/12/05 9:19pm
Msg #20430

To follow up on my own reply, this is the danger of using this forum as your education on how to become a notary. Before my post you got 2 incorrect responses to your question. Just because somebody answers your question on this board does not mean you've gotten the correct advice.

Reply by Cyndra_CA on 2/13/05 1:22pm
Msg #20492

Thank you for your response. I very much appreciate you taking the time to flog me. Forgive me, but, I thought this was the place to "discuss notarial procedures...and ask qustions of your peers." Or, so it says in the General Discussion header.

Everyone has to start somewhere and not all of us are 100% gitter free. I don't understand why you felt the need to be so unkind. And, I'm not trying to become a notary, I am a notary. I'm just not perfect. But, I'll try harder.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/13/05 1:57pm
Msg #20506

It is not unkind to point out that you should know the most basic notary tasks before you ever get your first signing. And if you think the purpose of this forum is to teach each other things like how to properly complete an acknowledement, well you are quite mistaken.

I'm guessing that from the timing of my response vs an earlier post by you about finding a place to drop off the Fed Ex that you had probably already returned the documents to the lender, and I'm guessing that if that's the case you kept the improper acknowledgement wording in.

Be sure to tell whoever calls you about this that "I'm not trying to become a notary, I am a notary. I'm just not perfect. But, I'll try harder". And if the funding of the borrower's loan gets delayed because of your ignorance on how to do your job properly, give them a call and thell them "I'm just not perfect". I'm sure that'll appease them.

The problem with you Cyndra (and this is not exclusive to you, I see it all the time in here) is that you confuse perfection with competence. Nobody expects us to be perfect, but they DO expect us to be competent. You can say "I am a notary" all you want, but the fact remains that you couldn't even do the SINGLEMOST basic notary task without consulting this forum for advice. Nor were you able to recognize that the advice given to you does not apply to California notaries.

You may technically be a notary, but at this point in time you are certainly not a competent one. And until you do become competent at being a notary, you have no business doing loan signings.

Reply by Cyndra_CA on 2/13/05 3:40pm
Msg #20524

Thanks again!

Wow, you're the best! Thanks again so much! It's people like you that inspire the rest of us!
Your words of encouragement and support will resonate with me and others, no doubt.
Wow, just the best!

Reply by Cynthia Seipel on 2/13/05 4:12pm
Msg #20529

Oh, and don't worry...

I read a bunch of your other posts and you're just pretty nasty with most people, so I definately won't take it personally. Seems it's just your nature.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/13/05 6:57pm
Msg #20538

Re: Oh, and don't worry...

Yeah, you possibly screwed up and delayed somebody's loan because you have no idea what you're doing, yet I'M the one who's nasty for pointing it out to you. You should go far in this business with your eagerness to learn.

Reply by Cyndra_CA on 2/13/05 8:43pm
Msg #20541

Enough already!

Mercy! I had ONE question... and, little do you know, I managed it appropriately. You have no idea how I finalized it. So back off. It's time for you to get off my back. There was no foul. You're just being mean. Enough already.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/13/05 10:32pm
Msg #20545

Re: Enough already!

Well, if your ONE question wasn't "how do I perform THE most common and basic notary task on the signing I've already lined up?" I probably wouldn't have taken issue with your posting. And if you weren't so flippant in your subsequent responses I probably wouldn't even be posting this.

You can be as annoyed or offended as you want with me, I could really care less. But I am also offended by you. I'm offended that you have so little regard for this career field that you couldn't even be bothered to learn how to do the job before getting your first assignment. I'm in California, I know how long it takes to get commissioned here. You had plenty of time to learn this stuff, yet you didn't.

And please spare me the rewritten history because your intial post CLEARLY showed that you had NO idea how to do a simple notarization in Callifornia. Which makes you INCOMPETENT to perform this job. At least at this moment in time.

Now if you think that's mean, it's not, it's just truthful. We're all incompetent at many things lin life because we simply haven't learned how to do them. The difference is, most of our incompetencies do not affect the finances of innocent third parties. This one does, and I find it disgusting that you, and so many others like you, seem to think it's your god given right to learn all of this stuff at the possible expense of others. As if posting a message in here stating "I'm a newbie" somehow absolves you of the responsibility of being competent before you start putting people's loans at risk.

And it just amazes me that this would be crystal clear in almost any other industry, yet in here it's always taken so personally. If you were reading an OB/GYN board and saw a posting like:

Hi guys! I'm a newly licensed OB/GYN. I have my first c-section scheduled tomorrow and I'm so excited! Can anyone tell me where exactly I'm supposed to cut? I'm pretty sure I know, but I just want to make sure. Thanks, and wish me luck!

You'd be horrified, and rightly so. But for some reason you think it's perfectly fine to not have bothered to learn to complete a simple acknowledgement correctly, and that it's mean if I point this out to you. Well I think your attitude is extremely self absorbed. People's home loans shouldn't be at risk just because you want to learn the basics of this job while on the job.

So fine, think I'm a jerk, think I'm mean, I don't care. I'm just hoping that some other new notaries will see this post, and the others like it, and will realize the importance of knowing this type of stuff before they go out on their first loan signing.

Reply by Cynthia Seipel on 2/13/05 10:46pm
Msg #20547

Good God.

Reply by Cynthia Seipel on 2/13/05 10:46pm
Msg #20548

Good God.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/13/05 11:03pm
Msg #20551

Ms. Seipel, are you reading -- and understanding -- what CaliNotary is telling you? I don't care if he couched everything in scatalogical four-letter words, what he is trying to convey to you is one hundred percent on point. For you to respond with "Good God!", rather than something like "I understand," or "I hadn't thought of it like that," or even "Thank you," certainly indicates that you just don't get it. That doesn't portend very well for an acceptable learning curve for you as a signing agent.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/14/05 2:10pm
Msg #20588

I know it's just a pipe dream, but just once I would like to see one of these new signing agents show some sign of comprehension to one of my, or any of the other posts that say the same thing, that knowing how to be a proper notary independent of being a signing agent is important.

I've posted variations on this same diatribe many times and I can't remember getting a response other than a variation on either "don't you remember you were new once too" or "I'm sure you're so perfect yourself". I think I'd be rendered speechless if somebody ever got it and said that they would learn how to be a notary before accepting any more signings.

Reply by HisHughness on 2/14/05 7:37pm
Msg #20610

CaliNotary claims:

***I think I'd be rendered speechless if somebody ever got it and said that they would learn how to be a notary before accepting any more signings.***

I'm prepared to chip in $10 to hire a neophyte notary to say exactly that, just to witness the spectacle of CaliNotary rendered speechless. Anybody else want to contribute?

On the other hand, I've got $20 says he can't keep quiet no matter what the newcomer says.

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/14/05 8:41pm
Msg #20615

Heh. I should have saw that one coming a mile away.

Reply by Kat/CA on 2/15/05 3:13pm
Msg #20672

Ok...can't resist...

I'm a babe in the woods, the ink on my commission is barely dry. I lurk, I read, occasionally I contribute, but generally not to anything that could possibly earn me the wrath of HisHugeness or Calinotary (at least not yet. ~winks~). I have to say that I read both of your posts as well as Brenda's and Paul's and I DO learn. I THINK I'm ready, but I still do study, take notes and continue to search further before even thinking of updating my profile to say that I'm open for business.

Will that do? Hugh, you can take me out to lunch when I come to Texas in March. We're thinking of moving.... and coming out for a 'scouting' expedition next month. Hubby is prior service Army First Cav and missed the area. That of course means I'll have to start ALL over again with my commission, which is yet again another reason to pay attention to your and Brenda's posts.

Kat

Reply by HisHughness on 2/15/05 4:34pm
Msg #20682

Re: Ok...can't resist...

Kat warns:

***Hugh, you can take me out to lunch when I come to Texas in March. We're thinking of moving.... and coming out for a 'scouting' expedition next month.***

You need to plan to move before July 1. On that date the gate on a fence, now under construction along the entire western side of Texas, will be closed and locked, nevermore to be opened. The flood of Californians who wanted to meet God -- or at least Willie Nelson, who sitteth upon His right hand -- has overwhelmed our resources. We just don't have enough psychiatrists, tattoo parlors and smog to go around. The Legislature knew something had to be done when a Good Ol' Boy out in Abilene walked into a bar and ordered a cowpunchino. If you hurry, you can make it in before the gate hits you in the butt.

One other thing: I taught CaliNotary everything he knows about being nasty. I remember fondly the first time he sent a fledgling notary howling back to the National Notary Association seeking solace. The lad does have promise; no tact, but lots and lots of promise. I have recommended him for the headmaster's job at an alligator training school in Calcasieu Parish, LA.

Reply by Kat/CA on 2/15/05 7:38pm
Msg #20708

Just because I am currently stuck in this hell on earth we call Southern California does not mean I -am- a Californian. ~grins~ Try again, the wedge will keep the gate from swinging shut for a wee bit longer.

And boy, if you taught him everything he knows about being an onery cuss, he's already surpassed you. Your posts are amusing, blunt, but still amusing, whereas his border on making a person cringe, even if they're not the target of his 'apparent' displeasure.

Reply by BrendaTX on 2/15/05 8:22pm
Msg #20711

Oh, Kat...I am so sorry, but Hugh's right about that gate. It's slamming to in July. There will be no more notary admittance to the state.

However, we might be able to swap places for a short time...I am planning to visit CaliNotary in August.

We are taking a meadering drive down the coast...perhaps a junket into Mexico to buy things we think are important at the time, but really hate when we get home...and then we plan to rent a 1979 Cadillac (shiny emerald green with a white top). This transportation has been selected for the thrill factor because we'll set it on cruise control....wheeeeee....around the crooks and curves northward on Route 1 all the way to Mt. Shasta. (Provided we are not killed in a car wreck, we are going to make a stop in Tomales and do a little fishing.)

Once we have reached our destination, we will meet with a secret society of notaries in a seedy motel room. Our group will then spend an entire day making illicit impressions of our seals on notebook paper--just to get it out of our systems, you see. It's good therapy.

Seems like there's one more little fun tourist thing we are going to do, but I cannot recall right now. Do I know how to plan a vacation, or what!

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/16/05 11:59am
Msg #20796

Sounds dreamy. I'm sure glad I stumbled across this message or I might have been quite surprised when you showed up on my doorstep.

Don't forget the Hollywood/Notary tour of all the showbizzy things I've stumbled across while out doing loan signings: Cielo Dr (the Sharon Tate house), the Panda Express where Tom Hanks sat 2 tables away from me with his son while I was eating lunch between signings, Rockingham Dr (OJ), the condo where I did a signing for one of the actresses in "Barbershop", the house where I did a signing for one of our morning ABC news anchors, Madonna's old house in the Hollywood Hills (no notary connection, I just really like her).

Reply by CaliNotary on 2/16/05 11:54am
Msg #20794

My mommy calls it "moxie".

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.