Notary Rotary
CLOSING AGENT NEEDS NOTARY SERVICE
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by TARA PA on 7/22/05 6:50pm
Msg #53979

I just got a call to schedule about 5 closings tomorrow. The guy called and said he was a closing agent, but not a notary and needs my services for Saturday and Sunday.
I'm confused.
Normally the title co will hire me to go to the borrowers home, and I will have the closing documents. Where does he fit in? He said he is from Ameriquest, and is working for a title company.
Please help me understand this process.

Reply by sue on 7/22/05 6:58pm
Msg #53982

sounds like he's a signing service. or maybe someone new at a title company scheduling that doesn't understand the 'process' yet. did you take the orders? who is your confirmation from?

Reply by taraPA on 7/22/05 7:05pm
Msg #53984

It's very weird. He did not offer to send me an conformation (i am so confused, i didn't ask) he couldn't give the exact # of closings, nor the locations, just estimates. He just wanted me to say I can be available. He offered to drive me in his car, and I immediatley said that would not be okay, I can drive myself. He said he was going to call me back to be able to give me better details of the signings. Not to mention, the town in question is about an hour and a half away....way out of my time frame.

Reply by sue on 7/22/05 7:13pm
Msg #53986

In PA there are few places where they would need to hire a notary 1.5 hours away - maybe if you're way up there in Elk County but that's probably it. Unless I received a firm confirmation from a company I could verify I would not go. I especially wouldn't go in his car - even if he isn't a wierdo and is 'just helping' you don't want to be 'hostage' to someone else's whim - what if is a real talker and you want to keep everything moving along - you always need to be in control.

Reply by tara pa on 7/22/05 7:48pm
Msg #53989

Sue, thanks for your help! I noticed if I don't feel comfortable about a job, I don't take it, sooo, I called him back and cancelled it. Besides, I had nothing to go on, no conformation, no locations and no times. It was weird to me.

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 7/22/05 7:02pm
Msg #53983

I ran into the same thing the last couple days. I have been scheduled for 4 signings with an attorney cause he is not a notary. All of the signings are for Ditech. I talked to the SS and they said that Ditech requested that they only use attorneys to close their loans from now on. So the SS hires the attorney, and if the attorney is not a notary they hire a notary to go along with him. The funny thing is, I talked to the attorney and he asked me if I have ever done a signing because he has never done one and needs to follow my lead. I am sure he is getting paid alot more than me, and he expects me to show him what to do?

Reply by tara PA on 7/22/05 7:06pm
Msg #53985

This guy sounds a little out of the loop as well.

Reply by tara pa on 7/22/05 7:48pm
Msg #53990

i decided not to take it.
Thanks Brijoe Wa

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/22/05 8:03pm
Msg #53994

Re: CLOSING AGENT NEEDS NOTARY SERVICE - Brijoe

Tell him you will be happy to show him what to do, but your fee for training is $350 an hourSmiley

Reply by Brijoe_WA on 7/22/05 9:09pm
Msg #54004

Yeah good idea. I should bill him for the phone conversations too.

Reply by tara pa on 7/22/05 9:13pm
Msg #54006

i wish i could!

Reply by jay Calif. on 7/22/05 9:51pm
Msg #54020

Re: CLOSING AGENT NEEDS NOTARY SERVICE ???

Im a new notary in California. IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A SIGNING AGENT THATS NOT A NOTARY ??? I thought they were one and the same

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/22/05 10:58pm
Msg #54038

Re: CLOSING AGENT NEEDS NOTARY SERVICE ???

Typically a Signing Agent is a Notary Signing Agent since most companies want just one person doing the signing. Therefore, a "requirement" for this work is to be a Notary Public. However, being a Notary Public is not the same thing as being a Signing Agent. When you're at the table, you wear two different hats: Signing Agent and Notary. Theoretically, the signing can be handled by two people, and I have done it that way. I have done signings/closings with a notary. I "conducted" the signing/closing, and the notary notarized as needed, quietly and without comment. Smiley And I have done them where I was strictly the notary. Especially with attorneys doing purchases.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.