Notary Rotary
California Verbage on jurats
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Very concerned in Calif. on 7/27/05 3:23pm
Msg #55141

I could use some help from a California Notary. I haven't been a notary very long. When you get docs that have jurats attached but don't have the Calif. verbage so you need to put a Calif. Jurat with it, do you just ignore the non Calif. jurat and just use a Calif. jurat or do you do both of the jurats.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 3:37pm
Msg #55148

Concerned:

You need to know where your resources are for being a notary in CA, the best one is the CA SOS site. Go to this link and it should answer your question:
http://www.ss.ca.gov/business/notary/notary_jurat.htm

Reply by Kim_Cali on 7/27/05 3:38pm
Msg #55149

You need to have the correct California wording. What I do is simply line through the incorrect wording and write in See Attached California Jurat. Complete the loose certificate including the optional bottom portion (if your certs have that), and attached it to the doc. Do not complete the provided jurat if the wording is incorrect ~ use a jurat stamp if you have one or attach the loose certificate.

Hope that helps!

Reply by LAM on 7/27/05 7:05pm
Msg #55198

I heard that they don't like the loose form and will reject it and to use the stamp only.

Reply by Kim_Cali on 7/27/05 7:52pm
Msg #55204

I use the loose all of the time and have never had a problem.

Reply by Jon on 7/27/05 10:28pm
Msg #55243

It depends on the co. Some prefer the stamp, some like the loose certs. I don't use the stamp and have never had any problems, and some have been told to use the stamp only. Bottom line is if you have questions, call the co.

Reply by LMag on 7/27/05 8:30pm
Msg #55215

I purchased a Jurat Stamp, used it the day after it arrived. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere to notarize anything without it.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 7/27/05 11:27pm
Msg #55264

You need a 2005 Jurat Stamp!
Say a typical loan doc package has 5 Jurats to be notarized; what do you think a loan package looks like that has 5 staples attached? It looks terrible!!

Buy a 2005 Jurat Stamp here on notaryrotary.com for under $15 and keep it for years because we are the only state in the union that requires identification (or personal knowledge) for Jurats. This also means if we are notarizing for a property located outside of Calif we must still channge the Jurat verbiage to confirm with our 2005 Ca. Jurat law.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.