Notary Rotary
Certificates & No Notorial Wording
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by cjNcv on 7/19/05 12:10am
Msg #53028

I'm another newbie & was studying/trying to get a few things straight today. So this might be a dumb question, but is a "Loose Certificate" or "Loose Acknowledgement" the same thing as my "California All-Purpose Acknowledgement"? I haven't started doing loan signings yet, but I've notorized 2 separate documents for friends that didn't have the notorial wording. Should I have used one of these "Loose Things?" (Hope HisHughness is out working for a few days & this one slips by him! :o)

When using a Loose Cert (or whichever is correct), should it be embossed with the original? Thanks in advance for your help! cj

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/19/05 7:51am
Msg #53064

The part of the document that the notary completes when notarizing someone's signature, is called the "Notarial Certificate", or commonly just "Certificate". The certificate, as the name implies, is the notary's certification that a proper notarial act was completed, whether it be the taking of acknowledgment or the giving of an oath, or other allowed notarial act as prescribed by law in the notary's commissioned (licensed, appointed) state.

Therefore, a "Loose Certificate" is nothing more than a valid notarial certificate that is not physically printed on the instrument or document that is being signed, but attached to the document.

The loose certificate should always be properly annotated to show which document or instrument the certificate is attached to. Some notaries do use an embosser to "seal" the original document with the attached certificate. Some apply a stamp such that half the stamp is on the original document and the other half is on the loose certificate. These are just some additional ways to minimize the misplacement or misuse of a loose certificate.

Reply by cjNcv on 7/19/05 9:26am
Msg #53083

Thanks! Got it now!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.