Notary Rotary
Certified Copies
Notary Discussion History

Certified Copies
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by tony on 7/17/05 4:42pm
Msg #52821

Certified Copies

When a lender asked me for certified copies; I made a copy and wrote "This document is a true copy" and signed and sealed

Was this an ok procedure?

Thanks,

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/17/05 5:30pm
Msg #52823

What did they ask you to certifY?

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/17/05 7:44pm
Msg #52840

No, it wasn't.

You cannot notarize your own signature! Using your seal in this way is (at least) not valid.

When you post, use the two-letter abbreviation for your state in the Author field. That will help you get answers that apply to your state.

Reply by Shannon/Va on 7/17/05 9:59pm
Msg #52861

Here in Virginia, a notary can sign a document stating the document is a true certified copy of the original. Basically, you would write, I certify this document to be a true and accurate copy of the original. Sign it and stamp your notary seal on it. Usually on the first or last page in a corner of the doc so you do not cover any of the doc.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/17/05 10:10pm
Msg #52864

Depending on which state your are in, you may or may not be able to certify copies of documents. You need to check YOUR specific state laws.

For Florida, you can certify copies of certain types of documents. This topic is fully discussed in the Florida Governor's Reference Manual for Notaries.

Reply by Renee_MI on 7/18/05 3:56am
Msg #52884

I spent years in wholesale lending compliance/closing - always required C/T/C of Mtg/DOT. What that meant as a lender was simply a "Certified True Copy" stamp, with or without initialing or signature next to the stamp (depending on investor, weather, investor's weather, etc.)

I find as a NSA that frequently the terminology used translates differently, depending upon what capacity you're serving in. THAT translates sometimes to "The more you learn, the less you know" and a phone call can save a lot of confusion.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 7/18/05 12:41pm
Msg #52914

Tony,
As stated before, check your state specific guidelines. In Michigan, notaries cannot certify copies.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.