Notary Rotary
Charging Borrwer vs. Title Co.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by SDgirl on 7/27/05 3:49pm
Msg #55151

Borrowers contacted me, they have the docs and want to sign Saturday. They said they will pay me directly for my services. I was wondering what other charge in this situation. Standard signing fee or $10 per signature plus traveling fee?

I have been doing this in CA for 2 years and have only encountered this 3 other times in which I told the customer I would bill the title co directly but on the last one I never got paid because TC said borrower never went through with loan and I dont want that to happen again!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 3:55pm
Msg #55154

I'm wondering who hired you - if the SS did, they might be a bit annoyed (to say the least) but if it was the TC, no skin off their nose. Sounds like a great arrangement to me.

Reply by SDgirl on 7/27/05 3:59pm
Msg #55158

I am sorry maybe I did not explain the question correctly... The borrowers contacted me! They have the loan docs and want to sign Saturday. They want to pay out of pocket. I was wondering if other charge their standard fee OR $10 per signature + traveling fee?

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 4:04pm
Msg #55160

For me, my time and value is my standard fee plus any traveling fee (same as I would charge on any other job). If these are friends of yours then that's up to you, but if it were a call based on your advertising why would this job be any different?

I did a freebie for a co-worker and regreted it later as the SS charged him $250, and he didn't get any of that credited back to him. SS kept the fee.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/27/05 4:14pm
Msg #55166

I get it...

Well, you're a mobile notary and it is a loan signing, regardless of how you were contacted (whether by the borrowers or by the TC). If it were me, I'd charge my standard fee everything included as you'd price any loan signing...because it is a loan signing! JMO, hope that helps.

Reply by SDgirl on 7/27/05 5:11pm
Msg #55187

Re: I get it...

Thanks for your advice. You are absolutely correct!

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/27/05 6:02pm
Msg #55193

She should give them 2 options - either charge as a loan signing and do a regular loan signing, or charge a travel fee plus $10 per notarization and only notarize what needs to be notarized and let them sign the rest after she leaves.

Reply by Sam I am in CA on 7/28/05 12:21am
Msg #55280

SD girl - it must be a new trend. I had 2 of these on Saturday. Borrowers called out of the blue - had received their loan docs and were directed to find their own notary.

One was in a really posh gated La Jolla home. Charged them $180 - notarized 8 docs each plus $20 travel. No info given on docs, etc. Took about 30 minutes total.

The second guy met me at a taco shop a block from my house. Charge him $50 for the certificates - no travel fee and again no info given on docs. Took all of 15 minutes.

I'd be in notary heaven if every day was like that!!

Reply by NY_Taxlady on 7/27/05 4:54pm
Msg #55180

The borrows are hiring you not the Title Co. Get your fee from them and get paid at the closing.

Reply by LMag on 7/27/05 8:27pm
Msg #55214

And make sure their check doesn't bounce?

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 7/27/05 11:03pm
Msg #55258

Don't worry about the check. Have pay in cash.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.