Notary Rotary
Does anyone have any tips on safety issues? With the scary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Dana/CA on 7/12/05 12:17am
Msg #51134

things happening to people how do you go to a signing and still feel safe? I tell my husband the address and name of the borrowers when I go to a signing. I also call him when I'm leaving to let him know that I am safe and on my way home. I know this sounds like I'm a safety freak, but in this day and age a girl can never be too careful. I have never had any feeling of being unsafe. Any other suggestions?

Reply by droman on 7/12/05 1:08am
Msg #51141

You are doing what you absolutely should. You can also try these tactics as well: when I call to confirm, I talk to the borrower as if I'm an agency, and that "we're" sending "our" notary out to their location, and I provide the name (as in "Your notary will be Martha"). That way the borrower believes that "our agency" is well aware we are sending out a notary to their location, and it's not someone just showing up per the instructions of an email confirmation. It also doesn't hurt to carry a key-chain sized pepper spray, and I keep my cell phone in my pocket (as opposed to my purse or bag) so it's easily accessible.

Reply by ca-ca on 7/12/05 1:29am
Msg #51145

.....women are never too old to learn marshall arts

Reply by mes/IL on 7/12/05 12:58pm
Msg #51282

Re: Does anyone have any tips on safety issues? With the sca

I have taken quite a few closings in areas that you don't want to be in past sundown,even the daytime can be a bit scary.The borrowers themselves have all been friendly and very accomodating.Its their surroundings that is the problem.I have gotten out of my car where I felt like an alien from another planet .It is really uncomfortable to be scared to go into a building where a borrower lives.I have turned down a few,but my husband has suggested that if he is available to ride along w/me,he will sit out in the car while I am conducting the closing with a newspaper or a magazine.I hate to be a baby and be afraid of certain neighborhoods,but believe me,some near me are VERY unsafe.I feel that this is the best solution for me safety wise.These borrowers in unsafe neighborhoods need notaries as much as borrowers in nice safe residential areas.I am happy to accept the jobs when I can ,but I do know that going by myself can be a risk.I also keep my cell phone on .On the other hand I have been in a really beautiful home doing a closing by myself with a single male that is a "little too friendly" and that can be as scary.I think you just have to be professional and distant in terms of too much conversation not pertaining to the job at hand.I agree,leave an address and phone # of where your closings are.Whether you are in a good or bad neighborhood, things can happen.Just try and be vigilante!

Reply by Dana/CA on 7/12/05 1:30pm
Msg #51309

Re: Does anyone have any tips on safety issues? With the sca

Thanks for all the replies. There are a few of the suggestions that I haven't been doing, but I will definitely do them as an additional precaution.

Reply by Calinotary on 7/13/05 10:31pm
Msg #51882

Tip#1: You are in the wrong business (NM)

Just has to say it

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/14/05 4:07am
Msg #51922

Re: Tip#1: You are in the wrong business (NM)

Oh joy, somebody has appropriated my name for posting purposes. Oh well, I think my writing style is distinctive enough that people can tell the difference. If not, I'll always be shown as a logged in user when I post.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 7:32am
Msg #51933

Re: Tip#1: You are in the wrong business (NM)

I already figured out it was not your post.

You need to make sure your profile states:

CaliNotary: The man who affects others so that they call themselves Sybil....and CaliNotary, and Anon, and Sockpuppet, and Redrum, and Eve, and La Toya, and at least eight to twenty other names.

Reply by SamIam_CA on 7/14/05 11:02am
Msg #52032

bogus poster

Posted by I Know One of your problems on 7/13/05 10:PM
MSG #51873 from 71.110.162.216

Hey Cali! Thanks for letting us know that posting was not really you. The same joker knows what "one of my problems' is. You were right before - new people are fun!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.