Notary Rotary
FEE
Notary Discussion History

FEE
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Marie on 7/4/05 12:00pm
Msg #49755

FEE

What do you charge signing companies within an 25 mile radius? I found that some companies are willing to pay $ 50. Should I decline the $50 dollar jobs if they won't meet my fee.

Reply by Sam I am in CA on 7/4/05 12:08pm
Msg #49757

Marie, are you new to this board and/or a new NSA? Please read messages 33325, 44234, 44429 & 44653. Only you can decide what fees you need to charge to make yourself profitable. There are many variables involved. That said, it is detrimental to the profession as a whole to take anything lower than $50.

Reply by Ted_MI on 7/4/05 12:29pm
Msg #49758

Hi Marie,

First , let me say you probably should identify what state you are from, as often times queries require state-specific responses (just like I am Ted-MI).

As far as declining the $50 jobs, I think you need to ask yourself the following four questions:

1. Is it a HELOC or is it a refinance?

2. Are the docs being overnighted or are they being emailed or faxed?

3. How much experience do I have?

4. What else do I have going that day? ($50 is more than zero).

If it is a HELOC (home equity line of credit) and it is being overnighted, and you don't have a lot of experience, and your dance card isn't real full that day (so to speak), I would take it.

I agree with Sam's advice not to take forty dollar jobs. Best wishes.

Reply by phillynotary on 7/5/05 12:39pm
Msg #49870

Hello Marie,

Some of the posted replies are downright rude, so I hope you're not disheartened.

Here's my 2 cents: The fee you accept should depend on what you feel comfortable with. I'm still pretty new (done about 8 signings), so I still take whatever comes my way just because I want to get the experience. However, I have had a few requests from signing companies wanting to pay $50 for edoc signings that are 40 minutes away, and when I counter-offer, some have increased the fee, and some have chosen to move on to the next notary.

Once you have enough experience, start demanding more. I wouldn't just flat out reject them though. One trick I try is, if they offer $50 for edocs, I say "Well, my minimum edoc fee is $XXX". If they say OK, that's great, and if not, then decide whether or not you want to take the smaller fee.

Another tip: keep a list of nearby zip codes with your fee. Try using the Coverage Analysis tool on this site under "The Library" link. It's free and good for a quick reference of what you should charge.

Good luck!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.