Notary Rotary
Get a business license from your city / county / state. Now
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Melody on 7/17/05 10:59pm
Msg #52873

On a different board, an NSA said he just received a letter from his city government saying that he owed city business license taxes. The city said they got his business information from his state tax return.

Yes, the different levels and agencies of government talk to each other.

If this fellow is lucky, he will only have to pay the license/tax fees.

But if the city official he talks to is in a bad mood and decides that the NSA knowingly avoided paying city taxes, he will get slammed with big fines. Fines are at the discretion of the government official.

Rationality has little to do with assessing fines: bad traffic that morning, mid-life crisis, dog forgot housebreaking in the car, whatever. Bad mood could equal big fines for you.

Being an NSA is a real business. Get ALL the appropriate licenses.

Check with your city, county, and state to see what business licenses you should have.

Come clean. Now.

Reply by New2Notary-CA on 7/18/05 2:42pm
Msg #52925

When I called the County clerks office to find out about a business license I was told they could not advise me as to what type of license I might need or even where to find out. So can anyone please explain to me or tell me where I can find the information. Thanks, for your patience.

Reply by Terri - CA on 7/18/05 2:52pm
Msg #52926

Contact your CITY offices not county. Good luck.

Terri
Lancaster, CA

Reply by new2notary on 7/18/05 2:56pm
Msg #52928

I am just trying to get started and really appreciate the help.

Thank you!!

Reply by CaSigner on 7/18/05 3:01pm
Msg #52930

When I started I was told by my city that I needed not only a business license but a Home Occupancy Permit as well. Of course they said I needed one. I called the county and they said to call your city.

Reply by New2Notary-CA on 7/18/05 3:15pm
Msg #52934

Alright then I will call the city and find out what my first steps are. Hmmmmm.....
do I dare ask? What is a Home Occupancy Permit?

Reply by CaSigner on 7/18/05 4:06pm
Msg #52949

That's just it, I called and of couse they said I needed one. That's how small towns make money. According to the HOP flyer you need a HOP is required if you: have a business phone at your residence, Receive mail related to your business at your home, Declare any portion of your residence i.e. utilities, vehicles, etc. as a business expense, Have business cards or other items of advertising listing your home phone or home address, Conduct any record keeping or bookeeping that identifies your home address as the business location, it goes on and on. ($107/2 years) in addition to the required business license ($71 year). And they have to notify in wrtting your neighbors of your business and they have to approve. It's totally you know what.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/18/05 5:12pm
Msg #52959

Re: Get a business license from your city / county / state.

I was completely unaware that I needed a business license until I read this. Sure enough I called the city and got the applications online. My worry is that I recieved my commission in March and though I have only done a few signings am I going to get fined for going now to get my business license. Will I still be able to claim my expenses on my taxes that I accumulated before I got the business license.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/18/05 5:13pm
Msg #52960

Oh and now that I'm aware should I worry about taking additional assignments until the business license process is complete?

Reply by Melody on 7/18/05 7:43pm
Msg #52987

I would be shocked if you got fined. You are so newly in business. Fines happen when they think you have been avoiding them. You have not: you just started work.

Yes, you can deduct all expenses for this year. Even the 2005 expenses on getting your commission and other things before actually doing your first signing. And it will look good to the official in your city when they check state tax returns against existing business licenses: you will have gotten your license mid-year.

By getting your license now, you are protecting yourself in another way. If a city official goes snooping around websites, phone directories, or other places looking for unlicensed businesses, you will be found to have a license or at least to be well into the process of getting one. City governments are strapped for money. They really do go snooping.

I haven't had to deal with a Home Office license. You might ask Terri G directly about her experience. What might be helpful: when I moved into my new home last summer, I told the condo office and my neighbors that I was a notary who worked out of my home but that I never, never, never had clients meet me there. I always meet with clients away from the condo. Plus I do a lot of my preparation and reporting work over the internet.

The neighbors and staff were relieved to hear my explanation up front. They like that I am frequently home during the day because more daytime activity in a complex equals fewer thefts. I headed off future questions about FedEx and supply deliveries.

Plus people see notaries as quiet and competent. It is not like I am running a "Melody Dawg, the Bounty Hunter" business out of my condo.

I also do the occasional free notarization for the condo office. You may wish to offer that to your neighbors.

Not legal advice, I am not a lawyer, etc, etc. But I was a free-lance business manager for many types of businesses in California for over 25 years so I speak from that experience.

You are the one initiating the business license and doing so early on. You should be fine.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/18/05 9:45pm
Msg #53001

Thank you so much for your reply Melody. I appreciate it very much.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/19/05 1:23am
Msg #53054

Melody City License Police, Wannabe-Dawg, the Bounty Hunter...unless I plan to spen a day putting out flyers or going door to door, or peddlng food...just like I thought, no license is necessary for me...unless I go ahead and open up that Bail Bonds office....Dawg is totally my Hero as far as ex-cons go...and that modest little wife of his has got the style going on, girlfriend!

She (Mrs. Dog) says Dog likes his women a little on the trashy side.

Mrs. Dog aka Beth, the sweet demure little thing that she is...trashy? I never noticed.

Reply by New2Notary-CA on 7/18/05 6:14pm
Msg #52975

Interesting, well I guess I better get busy taking care of those forms. I wonder what happens if my neighbors don't approve. Alright is there anything else that I need to address other than those two things?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.