Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Have you ever been offered a tip and what did you do?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Nancy in Florida on 7/1/05 12:01am
Msg #49247

I had a purchase closing today and the couple were from NY as am I. We actually had a connection to some of the same people, such a small world....

It is common practice in NY (especially NYC) to tip your Title Closer. Actually Title Closers in NY get tips as well as pick up fees for $150-$300 depending on the amount of payoffs on the loan. In NY the Title Closer is responsible for sending the check with the payoff letter to the previous Lender therefore they get the pick up fee for this service and they are responsible for holding it for the 3 day RTC as well. Anyway this couple tried to give me a tip! I was very surprised and flattered and of course I would have loved to have taken a tip but I explained that I was not the Title Closer and that this is not common practice in Florida. They couldn't understand and it did get awkward. What is legal or ethical in this situation? Since I do come from a State that it is common practice but it is not common here I really don't know what they answer is but I decided to take the high road and not accept the tip.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/1/05 12:05am
Msg #49248

I've been offered tips several times... it sure makes you feel good doesn't it? I thank them profusely but I would never ever take it. I think it must violate some law somewhere. If not against the law, at the least it crosses my personal boundaries of what I am comfortable doing.

Reply by Paul_IL on 7/1/05 12:38am
Msg #49254

There is nothing illegal about accepting tips. It is a personal choice and many people like to reward good service.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/1/05 7:49am
Msg #49271

OT-While we are talking tips...

Tip carhops / tip the drive-thru...

(1) I was astounded to find out that my mom and her cohorts eat at Sonic Drive-In and never tip the carhop.

(2) I always tip the kid sitting in the Taco Cabana drive-thru window w/ at least $3 if they remember to add my hot sauce to my order - and, then I tell them why. (So many times I have gotten home w/o it. Bummer! NO Fuego sauce/no good!)

A few dollars in a tip for a job well done can change a kid's outlook...maybe even the entire course of a day.

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/1/05 7:55am
Msg #49273

Re: OT-While we are talking tips...

Amen sister! I am always surprised that we are the only ones to tip those Japanese guys that cook at your table and entertain you while doing so. They always act surprised, I feel sorry for them.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 7/1/05 8:00am
Msg #49276

Maybe thats because in every place I've been they split tips with the waiters at your table......

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/1/05 8:03am
Msg #49277

I didn't think of that, but still, it can't amount to much. I love that salad dressing and rice Smiley
In fact having some Filipino blood I love ANY rice any time Smiley

Reply by TAgey_VA on 7/1/05 9:37am
Msg #49302

That's right. You know, we didn't use to tip at all . . . then we thought about it and realized that everyone has a bad day. You never know if that person serving you is working 2 or 3 jobs and feeding alot of mouths. We don't know what their lives are like. It has since changed my point of view on tipping. I tip nothing less than 15% now. It feels great! (And I can afford to now. lol)

Reply by Midwest on 7/1/05 9:43am
Msg #49305

Brenda, Re: OT-While we are talking tips...

So when you go out to a restraunt with your mom, do you throw a couple of extra bucks on the table after she walks away like I do. I think my mom leaves $3.00 no matter where or what we eat, bless her.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/1/05 9:52am
Msg #49309

Re: Brenda, Re: OT-While we are talking tips...

Yes...I always supplement the tip w/o her seeing if possible. Your mom must be Ms. Moneybags...my mother leaves $1.00...she would not eat in a place that would "require" more without a large protest.

She nearly passed out when I tipped the Sonic kiddo. I fibbed a little and told her that they really just worked for about a buck an hour and tips...that way she might spring for $.50 next time.

God bless mothers...and bless them for living their young years during the depression.

Reply by Midwest on 7/1/05 9:59am
Msg #49311

Mom's a big spender, she has a pay scale for gift giving too. Birthdays (children and grandchildren) get $25, anniversarys get $50. She is so good, she never forgets to give a gift. She's 82. but a little lite on the tips, i don't mind throwing in a few bucks. Have a good safe 4th.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/1/05 10:30am
Msg #49323

>>> my mother leaves $1.00...she would not eat in a place that would "require" more without a large protest. <<<

In FL, waitstaff does not get paid as "well" as others. As of May 2, 2005, a state minimum wage requirement was established for the first time. The required rate is $6.15 per hour. However, for tipped employees (waitress, waiters, etc.), the minimum cash wage is $3.13 per hour, with a maximum tip credit of $3.02 per hour. So these people literally must work for their tips. The "accepted" standard rate is 15% of the bill, more if the waitperson did an excellent job.

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/1/05 10:28am
Msg #49322

I have to be SUPER sly about it! My mom watches for it and will go yank it up off the table and shove it back in my purse. She'll say with indignation... '$2 is just FINE!'

It is strange how it's just this one area... otherwise my mom would give me the shirt off her back! She's awesome!!!

Happy 4th of July Weekend! God Bless America!! God Bless those who are risking their lives for our country... and our freedom!!

Have Fun and Be Safe!!!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/1/05 10:35am
Msg #49325

Re: Did anybody know...

that the standard tip for a hairdresser is 30-40%. I always thought that I was right on track giving 20%. My cuts and highlights cost around $140... (long hair)... and a $50-$60 tip??? Wowser... I'm in the wrong biz.

Of course it was my hair dresser and her underlings that told me that so maybe she was exaggerating. Any hairdressers care to enlighten me!

Reply by missy_socal on 7/1/05 10:43am
Msg #49326

Well, I suppose it's all in how you look at it. I think that it's fine to tip your stylist 20%, but then you also have to tip her assistant separately. Depending on how much they do (did they shampoo/massage/help with the foils?). It probably does get up close to 30% or so. How very....nice...of her to let you know what she's expecting, though!!

I recently have grown all of my highlights out, and I now have completely my natural hair color. I don't think that I've had it like this since I was in junior high! It's nice not having to think about scheduling those $200 salon visits! :-)
My sister-in-law just (snidely?!) remarked, "Well, we'll see how long this lasts before grey starts to show up!" I secretly wished a new wrinkle on her. ha!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/1/05 11:02am
Msg #49335

Re: Small town Blues...

I am originally from SoCal so I am used to primping and pampering. I moved to a rural area a few years ago... the nearest large city is 3 1/2 hours away. At this point I think I would pay $500 for a great salon haircut. I tried a local place... asked for long layers... (you people with long hair may understand this) and she cut long 'step' layers... no blending... no thinning shears... HOLY CR%P! It looked like she went at me with a hack saw. My husband was like... 'What's up with your hair hon... you've worn a ponytail for like... 3 weeks straight?'

If some young girl would get trained well out here... and do a good job... I swear she's make a MILLION dollars!

Reply by Charm_AL on 7/1/05 11:09am
Msg #49338

I heard that! I also have long (thick) hair and I would love to find somebody that knows how to layer it right. Last year I got a cut and my head looked like a freaking upside down pyramid! Thankfully it grows fast and I get low and highlights. I don't trust anybody! lol

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/1/05 11:12am
Msg #49340

You find somebody good and I'll be on the next train to Alabama! **upside down pyramid** LOL It hits so close to home it's aweful!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/1/05 11:17am
Msg #49343

Re: Call the spelling police on me today... Geesh! n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 7/1/05 1:03pm
Msg #49379

The older I get the thicker and curlier my hair gets.

I don't think it matters how I get it cut or who cuts it, it will always have a yen to be in the shape of a pyramid...right side up, or upside down...one say or another a pyramid will be on my head.

People with curly hair don't really get a lot of style...it's just lots of hair.

Oh, please come back Farrah Fawcett and please bring your big hair. For one fine moment I had the right hairstyle and even *I* could cut my hair to act "big" ... what I could not cut right, hairspray would correct.

If only I could have that back again...

Reply by missy_socal on 7/1/05 12:33pm
Msg #49371

**"I am originally from SoCal so I am used to primping and pampering..."**

I hear you! I am positively low maintainence compared to most of my girlfriends. My only regular primping is a pedicure every 2-3 weeks. I honestly consider that more of a public service, since I'm in some form of flip flops 365 days of the year. :-)

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/1/05 1:30pm
Msg #49393

When I first started doing hair I had my own station for walk-ins. But when I wasn't busy I always helped the other stylists out. Anything I got out of it (other than a great deal of knowledge from watching and helping) was between me and the stylist. None of the stylists I helped during down time were unfair. Of course I never turned down a tip given, but it was never a worry that I wouldn't be compensated by the stylist I was helping. The client should only pay once. The stylist knows that when someone assists them it comes out of thier pocket from the charge of the client. There are a some salons that have people that only assist but they are payed by the salon owner per service. That is the only time that it would be acceptable to tip the assistant. I still however feel that in those cases the client shouldn't have to worry about tipping them separately. Tips as the only wages for assistants only serves to put pressure on the client to shell out more to each individual that says hello to them.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/1/05 1:17pm
Msg #49389

As a hairdresser you can come see me anytime if your going to tip so well. For a $140 service I would say $30 is quite fair. 20% is quite acceptable. Then if you feel so moved a little something extra at the holidays (this is for the stylist that has been doing your hair for an extended length of time), whether it be a tip or a goodie. For cuts if you go to a local cut rate chain salon do not tip less than $5 reguardless even when getting the $9.95 special. No you are not in the wrong biz as a notary. The stylist market is flooded (sound familiar). To succeed you have to find the right salon, have a very flexible schedule, and alot of the time, and you need to know someone. Oh and having a family isn't easy. You need to put it off for a long time until you have a well established clientelle. You must take a short maternity leave. And then even when you do everything right you will loose a percentage of your clientelle just for taking 3 months off.

Reply by NY Notary on 7/1/05 8:45am
Msg #49286

It is a personal choice. No law against it. Very common as you said in NY where people tip for everything LOL... and people insist sometimes on tipping.

Reply by GLENA/NV on 7/1/05 3:21pm
Msg #49412

I had two tippers last week, both insisted on me taking the money. One actually inserted it in my pocket as I was heading out...after I vehemently declined. One was the wife of the "Tiger Woods" of Poker tournament in Las Vegas - $30 and the other, a Pro Golf Instructor, who had just been with Tiger Woods that day at Wynn Golf here in Las Vegas. He said that he received $400 for his tip and giving me $10 of it. I also decclined but he enclosed it in the journal - I did not realize. When I got to my next signing, the $10 was there, needless to say, I had to call and thank him.

Las week, I also had another signer - a Guamenian who will not let me go home without two whole fresh Frozen Alaskan Salmon. I was embarrased because she kept insisting I should take it and she is the only one who eats them...her husband is working in Canada and brings a few with him everytime he comes home.

How about being offered a dinner? It is the most uncomfortable situation. Eating with strangers? Anyway, I had been offered that too!

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/1/05 4:05pm
Msg #49419

You could always tell them you have another signing right after thiers. Or, if I were offered a dinner I would politely decline by saying "oh I appreciate the offer, however I have a dinner date with my husband next. It's been a while since we've gone out without the children".

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.