Notary Rotary
Help with Quit Claim Deed
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by IL-Not on 7/28/05 9:16pm
Msg #55474

I am doing a refi tomorrow in Illinois for a California property. All docs are drawn, 'John Doe, an unmarried man'. The first doc in the pac is a Quit Claim deed where Mrs. Doe is granting Mr. Doe the property. I don't believe Mrs. Doe will be at the closing. Can I proceed with the closing? I have made extra copies of the deed and will supply Mr. Doe with them in hopes he can get them signed and back to the title co in a timely fashion. To add to this, it's a Friday and EOM. TIA for your help

Reply by Elizabeth Atwood on 7/28/05 9:35pm
Msg #55482

Calm down...she has to be there for the Quit Claim Deed. ONLY

Reply by IL-not on 7/28/05 10:32pm
Msg #55508

Did I sound hyper? I'm not, sorry if i gave you that impression. Mrs. Doe will not be at the signing, she is in CA. Just talked to Mr. Doe. He believes the ex took care of everything and does not know why the doc is in there. thanks

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/29/05 8:59am
Msg #55591

Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Doe took title to the property as married, then divorced, now he's an "unmarried man" as opposed to a single man (who's never been married). Sounds like he kept the house, and that's why lender wants a quitclaim deed.

Without knowing the chain of title, all you can do is have signed the docs you are provided - it's always best not to second guess the lender - they know why they've provided the document to you.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.