Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How many have done JURATS for the the DOT in addition ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Jenni on 7/2/05 1:10am
Msg #49521

Reply by Jenni on 7/2/05 1:14am
Msg #49522

Sorry didn't finish. How many have had to do a JURAT in addition to an ACK on a DOT? I can believe that they would want some one to swear to the truthfulness of that document. Can't you just see us sitting there while they read that.

Reply by Allison B/SOCAL on 7/2/05 6:49am
Msg #49530

Jenni -
I'm not sure what you are talking about or asking, but we do what the lender wants us to do with loan documents (DOT). If they want both (which is crazy), that's fine but you MUST have two originals: 1- for the Ack and 1- for the Jurat -- you can't mix both on one original. I've never been asked of this and even though I know it's nuts, if it's legal, that's my job.

Reply by Jenni on 7/2/05 8:06am
Msg #49534

They want both for one document.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/2/05 8:35am
Msg #49536

Re: How many have done JURATS for the the DOT in addition ..

I have seen this, and have completed both a jurat and an acknowledgment on the same document. That should not present a problem. You just need two certificates as you cannot "acknowledge and swear to" in the same breath. But, I must admit that I have never seen a DOT or mortgage that included or needed a jurat. All the ones that I have done (if memory serves me) have been acknowledgments.

Reply by Jenni on 7/3/05 8:07am
Msg #49666

Hi Paul, yes I have had requests for both on other documents, but never on a DOT. It really seems odd considering everything that is on the deed of trust that a borrower would have to take an oath on it.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/2/05 9:17am
Msg #49543

I have done it.

In Texas, there is no law against having an acknowledgment and a jurat on a DOT to my knowledge.

Also in Texas, the attorney general made a ruling around 1997 that a certificate which contained language for the ACK as well as a JURAT's language was acceptible on a DOT and that the clerk should not reject it when presented for filing.

If a document is presented to me with two notarial certificates ATTACHED then it would not be my decision to remove one. If I was confused I would call for clarification. proceed with the notarization, then note the explanation in my journal.

Reply by NY Notary on 7/2/05 9:36am
Msg #49544

Ageed. As a notary (at least in NY) you cannot decide which should be used. So both would be my answer. But if nothing else but curiousity (and wanting to understand) I would call the lender or TC. I don't understand what they are swearing to? Looking forward to the answer on this one.

Reply by DonnanorthernCA on 7/2/05 12:21pm
Msg #49563

who is it that wants both? I have not come across this yet.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/2/05 2:20pm
Msg #49577

That's good information, but where did you find that. Is it in the CA Gov. Code?

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 7/2/05 2:21pm
Msg #49578

That was for Allison..... Sorry

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.