Notary Rotary
Just another day at the office....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Kimberly-IN on 7/25/05 12:01am
Msg #54417

Friday was a busy busy day for me. I had an 11, 12, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and an 8. Closings 11 through 3 went great....too great....I knew something was going to go wrong. Always does when you're busy, seems like. Well, I get home and get my first pkgs ready to ship and get ready for my 6 and have a surprise e-docs pkg. for my 7. (was scheduled as overnight docs, they never let me know that it was e-docs) Wouldn't you know, this is one of the times I didn't have enough paper to do TWO e-doc pkg's. (my 8 was e-docs also, but I already knew of that) I ALWAYS have enough paper!! Anyway, Here it is, 5:15. I need to head out for my 6. I don't have the time to run to the office supply place...so, I decided to print docs after my 6. Well, It's 5:30....I'm heading to my 6. A few days ago I confirmed my 6 with the BO and got directions, like always. (I don't rely on mapquest unless I have to) I tell her I"m coming from the W side of Indy and she says "Take 465 S to Mann Rd. S........" (I just moved here two months ago, I don't know any better) Well, down 465 I go from the W side..and before I know it, I'm on the E side. (That took me about a 1/2 hour) I try to call the BO and the only number I have is her work number. I call the SS, the only numbers they have are the ones I have, all work #'s. The pkg was sent directly to the BO so I have no 1003. Finally, the SS calls back with a home #. I call at about 6:00, NO ANSWER, I leave a msg. 465 from the W to the E was smooth sailing but going 465 from the E to the W was bumper to bumper traffic. I had no choice but to take another route back to the W side. So, I drive from the E to the W via 70 (another 1/2 hour drive) and head back S on 465 thinking I missed the exit. Half way down the loop, I turn back around giving up. As I'm heading back N on 465, I see an exit for Mann Rd. (Mann Rd can't be accessed from the way I was org coming from, although the BO said I could) So, here I am, late for my 7 and have driven an hour for nothing. I get home, I'm printing my pkg for my 7 (which it's now 7:30-7:45...7 BO said they are mowing their grass, no hurry on when I can get there) I get a call from my 6 BO...she wasn't happy. (why she waited 2 hrs to call is beyond me) Her and her husband were outside swimming and she didn't hear the phone when I called earlier. I explained to her that I drove all the way around the city trying to find the Mann Rd exit only to discover it can't be accessed from the way I was coming from. She told me that she heard me say I was coming from the E and that her directions were based on that. I told her that if I had told her that, which I didn't, then why was my first "call" on my directions what it was (it wasn't consistant with E dir) Well, going back and forth, I explained to her that I had two deals that I was now late for due to her directions and she told me that this HAD to close tonight and insisted that I drop what I'm doing and go to her house NOW. I told her that I would be happy to have it signed anytime this weekend or on Mon., which was prev approved through the SS. It ended up with her saying she was going to call her LO and have him find somebody who could be on time and I just had it at that point....said a few words (not mean) and ended up hanging up. (I basically just told her that if I had the correct dir in the first place I would have been there when org scheduled) well, she didn't like that comment at all and starting SCREAMING at me. That's when I hung up. Got a call from the LO. The next day I went out and did the loan. Big silly, mess, huh?

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 7/25/05 12:39am
Msg #54419

I know you have been doing this for quite awhite. I feel for you, for your day. I to have a problem with map quest, but I have found the borrowers are worse. I check with another map search on MSN and I can usually figure out where I am going.

Reply by Glena/NV on 7/25/05 2:37am
Msg #54431

I find that maps.yahoo.com is more reliable

There is a certain area in Las Vegas where Mapquest sends me to the opposite direction. If I were to exit Rainbow from 95 Fwy. Instead of showing right on Rainbow, it sends me left. I have never had the same problem with Yahoo.

I have been here for over a year now...Mapquest still does not have my address online, but Yahoo does.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/25/05 5:44am
Msg #54434

Re: I find that maps.yahoo.com is more reliable

Google has a new way to see maps also.

http://maps.google.com/

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/25/05 2:47am
Msg #54432

Paragraphs please!!! n/m

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/25/05 8:08am
Msg #54443

randmcnally.com has excellent maps/directions.

You should *NEVER* rely on oral Borrower driving directions. Whether it is a street map you carry in your car or one you pull from the internet, you will simply be driving around blindly with oral instructions -- no matter how well you think you know the area.

*I just moved here two months ago, I don't know any better.*

This is NOT the Borrowers' problem, nor is it their problem that you *drove an hour for nothing.*

*Big silly, mess, huh?*

Yes it is, but not because of the fault of the Borrowers, IMO.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 7/25/05 9:58am
Msg #54468

Carolyn, You say never rely on borrower directions, would you like to tell me how you find a rural route address without doing so. I know you can call the post office (but they sometimes wont give that info) or the local fire department.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/25/05 10:12am
Msg #54472

Okay, poor choice of word "Never." What I should have said was not to rely *solely* on oral directions instructing you to borrowers home.

I usually look at a minimum of two online map sources -- Rand McNally, Yahoo, and/or MapQuest. I also have road maps in my car. For a rural address, I usually map it out with my husband's GPS.

Denver metro and the surrounding burbs are growing extremely fast and large. I have lived here all my life and I still wouldn't try to find an address blindly using just borrowers oral directions -- especially after having only moved just 2 months before as the original poster wrote.

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/25/05 10:41am
Msg #54480

Calling the post office in my area won't even work. The postal carriers are contracted so the postal workers don't even have a clue.

Reply by Ernest_CT on 7/25/05 2:08pm
Msg #54513

Sorry, Kimberly, I'm with Carolyn (inter alia) on this one.

It is you responsibility to know where you're going. Along with the other people who have posted, I never rely on the borrower's directions. As a matter of course I use MapQuest (and sometimes others) before I contact the borrowers. If the borrowers VOLUNTEER to add detail, or confirm the directions, swell. I read the directions aloud and let them say yea or nay.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/25/05 3:39pm
Msg #54518

Re: Sorry, Kimberly, I'm with Carolyn (inter alia) on this one.

I'm not surprised by certain responses.....never fails

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/25/05 7:51pm
Msg #54588

Re: Sorry, Kimberly, I'm with Carolyn (inter alia) on this o

"I'm not surprised by certain responses.....never fails"

I would love to hear you elaborate on this.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/25/05 11:13pm
Msg #54630

Re: Sorry, Kimberly, I'm with Carolyn (inter alia) on this one.

*I'm not surprised by certain responses.....never fails*

Excuse me? Anytime you post, you stand a 50:50 chance of disagreement or opinions. What did you expect?--everyone to agree with you and say how awful the borrowers were because you couldn't find their house using their verbal directions?

The borrowers were not the ones at fault. You had better begin using online maps, or you will be driving around in many circles. JMO.

Reply by Sherri_IN on 7/25/05 7:03pm
Msg #54573

I have to agree with the others on this. You should have run a map and then verfied directions with the borrower if you are not comfortable with mapquest. I have never had a problem with either mapquest or yahoo for directions around Indy. The only streets that don't seem to come up are the new developments. Even some of the smaller county roads will come up. If all else fails ask which sub-division they are in since most of the Indianapolis are is in sub-divisions.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/25/05 11:23pm
Msg #54633

Calinotary.....Elaborate? Well, lets just say it's the same ol' people time and time again with the same nasty attitude. It's also the same people time and time again with a positive attitude.

CarolynCO....disagreements and/or opinions aren't what I'm talking about here..it's what's written. Certain people on this board just love an opportunity to try and rip someone rather than a simple..."why don't you try this.." or "Here's what I think you should do.." So many angry people. I see lots of silly questions on here, and even though I feel like responding one way, I try to help them...rather than using your approach. That attitude is what discourages people from posting.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.