Notary Rotary
MaggieMae_California Help Please!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by PW California on 7/21/05 1:45pm
Msg #53632

I read your replies to negotiating contracts. When you signed up with SS's and their contract stated they paid $65.00 did you go ahead an sign with them or did you change their contract
and initial it. I have been searching for good SS's and so far all seem to want me to agree to something as far as fees go that I don't agree with, I really need advice on how to proceed with out discouraging the SS's from using me.

Thank you for being so informative and sharing,

Pam

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 7/21/05 2:04pm
Msg #53639

I signed the contracts as they read. When they call, they will ask you what your fee is and then you negotiate the fee. I've had one company say "You signed a contract agreeing to $50 for a signing" and then waited for my response. I told him that the contract was several months old and I was not an established notary signing agent and my fees had gone up. I thanked him for the call and put the ball back in his court. He came up to my request of $100 for the signing. He could have just as easily hung up the phone and called someone else.

I haven't spent as much time on the message board as I probably should researching certain topics. Negotiating fees has been a topic I really needed help with. Confidence and getting repeat calls has helped me a lot to handle the fee negotiations. It would be very interesting to read what others do.

Reply by JPS_CA on 7/21/05 2:13pm
Msg #53645

When you sign those contracts, they say that their base fee is 50.00, but every single signing is
negotiated, because every signing is unique. So when they call you just dont take 50.00 dollars even if you signed the contract for that price. You are not obligated to take all their signings for that
price you name your price, and they take it or they look for someone else.

Reply by PW California on 7/21/05 2:29pm
Msg #53651

When you negotiate after you signed their contract, what keeps them from refusing to pay what you agreed to verbally, since they have a contract signed. Do you have them put the agreement in writing.

Pam

Reply by JPS_CA on 7/21/05 2:33pm
Msg #53653

You go by the comfirmation letter. The rest of the contract, is for noncompete clauses or something like that

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/21/05 2:34pm
Msg #53657

And you get a confirmation with the agreed-upon price stated *before* the signing.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 7/21/05 2:35pm
Msg #53659

Standard practice is

that they will send you via email or fax a confirmation letter with the borrowers info on it and the agreed upon fee. The fee that's on the confirmation is the fee they are to pay and is your documentation should you need to flex your muscles.

Reply by PW California on 7/21/05 2:49pm
Msg #53668

Re: Standard practice is

Thank you, I will start signing up with the SS's with a little more confidence now.

Pam

Reply by Anonymous on 7/21/05 2:57pm
Msg #53675

in a different thread you are all ready to sign up directly with Countrywide but you lack the confidence to sign up with SSs?

Reply by aj/ca on 7/22/05 11:21am
Msg #53886

What about a company that sends a form asking you what your typical fee is? Do you think it is good to put in a low fee ($500 just to get in their database & negotiate up when you get a call or put a higher fee on form and take your chances that they will call?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.