Notary Rotary
Marriages
Notary Discussion History

Marriages
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by DellaCA on 7/4/05 7:32pm
Msg #49800

Marriages

For those ordained and preforming marriages in California, do you need to get a license from the state to be legal in doing weddings or is being ordained as in being a minister all you need?

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/4/05 8:24pm
Msg #49801

Hi Della:

I travel California for my real estate business and do marriages up and down the coast. Check out www.revdavid.com for someone who has created an very viable business doing weddings in So CAl. You don't need a state license. I am an ordained minister and I do a fair number of weddings. California is a ceremony state and as such there needs to be a wedding ceremony performed, you need to be ordained, and you need to register with your county. the documentation requirements vary with county to county.

Notaries are allowed to do confidential weddings in California but it is up to the county clerk as to whether the county allows a notary to issue a wedding licnese. My Northern Ca base is on the Mendocino coast and I do a lot of weddings here on the seashore and int he redwoods as well as on my own farm. Our county clerk does not allow the issuance of confidential licenses. Just South of me is Sonoma County and I do a lot of wedding there to and I can issue wedding licenses in Sonoma County but I can only perform weddings in Sonoma County if I issue a wedding lincense from Sonoma County. It is hardly uniform in California so you need to contact your county clerk, decide on what kind of weddings you are going to do and what amenities you will provide for the bride and groom. Weddings can be very stressful but they are also fun. If you have specific questions drop me a line at [e-mail address]. Good luck

Reply by FL Notary on 7/4/05 9:00pm
Msg #49807

Hi, I too am interested in doing weddings in FL but I don't know how to go about finding the happy couple. Any suggestions?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/4/05 10:02pm
Msg #49809

Nearly all the weddings I have done are because of my listing on 123notary.com.
The others have been from recommendations from happy couples I have joined together.

Reply by Dellaca on 7/4/05 10:56pm
Msg #49811

Re: Sylvia good idea to add this service to listing

Reply by DellaCa on 7/4/05 10:55pm
Msg #49810

I am a ordained minister and notary but have not officiated at any weddings, Would I go to the county clerk in my county then and what do I need to register Charles? That is a very nice site.

Reply by Sam I am in CA on 7/5/05 10:23am
Msg #49841

Della - I am also ordained, but have not done anything yet with my credentials. . In San Diego County; the way I understand the process is that the couple gets the marriage license at the county recorder's office - right next door to their notary division.

You perform the marriage and sign the license which you need to return in person to the county recorder. Then you take an oath to swear that the marriage was performed and that you are ordained and allowed to perform marriages as defined by the religious group who ordained you.

It sounds like the process may vary from county to county within CA.

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/5/05 6:17pm
Msg #49926

Hi Della:

I have found that it changes from county to county. Remember that Rev. Dave has been doing this for a long time and has become somewhat of a fixture in LA. For the Florida poster check out www.tbwo.us/index.htm for a wedding service out of Tampa Bay. I enjoy weddings but I hate say it, if I had to support myself in the style I have become accustomed to doing weddings and notary work I'd have to work 36 hours a day 10 days a week. I base my business on the concept of owning various profit centers. My notary work is a profit center, my wedding work is a profit center and so are the other things I do. All together they accumulate a substantial income stream. One way that has worked for me in getting wedding jobs is to make sure that I am listed on whatever interests people intent on getting married. I my Northern area I am listed with the Mendocino Coast Chamber of Commerce since Mendocino is a frequent wedding destination. there are also wedding industry sites and there are regional shows for prospective brides. As a Deist I am truly a non-denominational minister and perform all kinds of weddings.

A lot of people like to come to Mendocino to get married or to renew their vows. I also do a lot of add-ons for weddings such as providing an organist (even outdoors, I have a church organ set up on a trailer with a silent power supply) a public address system and some furnishings for the actual wedding ceremony. Sometimes I lease out my ranch for weddings see www.ferncreekfarms.com (please don't complain, the site is being redone completely this Summer, it loads slowly and some of the links are broken)

I guess I am a romantic at heart because I actually like performing the ceremony. People start off with such great intentions and ususally that is time time of greatest interest in each other, I like to see that. it is very uplifting spiritually. I wish more could continue the euphoria experienced at the beginning through their life together. I have to admit that I also enjoy the reception afterward and I am usually invited to attend.

Anyway feel free to e-mail me anytime and I'll be glad to give you any information I ahve on weddings andsome of the other things I do; [e-mail address].

Best regards,
Charles

Reply by DellaCa on 7/5/05 11:27pm
Msg #49974

Thank You so much I will be getting in contact!
Della

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.