Notary Discussion History

Mortgage fraud up? How can that be.
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Charles_CA on 7/29/05 11:36am
Msg #55641

Mortgage fraud up? How can that be.

This just came across my desk from Realtor.com

Mortgage Fraud Spikes With the Boom

(July 29, 2005) -- Mortgage fraud has grown faster than ever during the housing boom and is now a multibillion-dollar problem for the industry. Mortgage-related "suspicious activity reports" more than doubled from 2003 to 2004, according to the FBI.

A new report by the Mortgage Asset Research Institute indicates that Atlanta; Dallas; Denver; Orlando, Fla.; Charlotte, N.C.; Memphis, Tenn.; Scranton, Pa.; Columbus, Ohio; Houston; Salt Lake City; and Louisville, Ky., were the top cities for mortgage fraud last year.

Mortgage fraud often involves a number of misrepresentations—the most common of which is falsification of applications by individual borrowers (56 percent of all cases), fake or incorrect tax and financial documents (33 percent), bogus employment verifications (12 percent), and fabricated or intentionally inflated appraisals (10 percent).

Investigators have noticed that fraud often involves stated-income and no income, no verification mortgages; property-flipping scams; or unscrupulous loan officers who help borrowers falsify their income.

Source: Newsday (07/29/05); Harney, Kenneth

Reply by TrayKy on 7/29/05 11:54am
Msg #55663

Sound like we need to pay much more attention to our jobs. I don't cover Louisville, but I can say that it's been my experience that if you don't take being a Notary serious you could easily be part of the problem as discussed in this article. Thanks for the heads up.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.