Notary Rotary
My one year assessment...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Nd_WA on 7/14/05 7:07am
Msg #51927

First off, I'd like to thank you all for your time in contribution to this worthfully knowledge forum (library). My personal thank you to PAW and Sylvia for those amatuer last minute questions. Thank you NotRot for such a genuine website (my continue-ed school).

I ventured into this business with a few years in RE background after having our refi signed with an SA. With the help of some bird feathers (Google) in search for the word "notary", I was overwhelmed with the informations found. I clicked website by website until I stumbled accross NotRot forum where I saw little to none bickering, bashing nor offensive posts. It was totally professional sharing experiences and exchanging ideas. I had my eyes glued to the monitor for hours reading posts (from the beginning without posting a single question) each night for over three weeks before turning in my notary application.

THAT'S RIGHT, I learned how to do signing from ONLY reading posts on NotRot and I ONCE WAS NEVER NEW.

To date I have recorded 42 (repeated) clients, 186 (+2 scheduled Fri), printed over 15K pages edoc, last 3 month rolling A/R at ~$3700 each with no past due. I have never made more than one phone call before payment is received, never accepted any signing less than $65 based, and I don't call those quick one page QCD or affidavit a signing where I charged less than $65 just to be fair to my clients.

I mentioned long ago that RE is a lucrative industry but it required descipline, hard work and motivation to succeed. There are similarities I found between being an SA and a Realtor; you have got to know what you're worth (time/knowledge), who is willing to pay the price (set standard), and you better be famous (marketing). I went from a 45/55 to 90/10 commission split after 6 months in real estate. The myth was my own broker referred me to his buddy broker of a different company.

I think the signing business will still be around for quite a while unless some dramatical changes took place. There may not be enough signing for everyone due to mass production of new agents from the NNA and alike, I believe the older (wiser) will still prosper. I think the secret lies behind having a solid business plan.

IMO...corporate managements (TC) now a day have only one thing in their mind (cost cutting), fly by small business (SS) think profit first. As a service provider (SA) we must maintain high flexibility, quality and reliability in order to survive the competitions. I have a new TC that send overnight package in FedEx sturdy pak and the pak to return docs. I don't know what kind of deal they have with FedEx, but I made a suggestion to them that it may cost less if they choose the re-useable cardboard envelope. Just an example because I used to work in management and have learned not only at keeping your company a float but the customer as well.

When not busy with signing I have a plan-B for additional income, which most everyone know by now. As everyone looked into inspection and other notary related work, I took my 15 years spent in the hi-tech industry to slowly but surely building a business in reselling used laptops/printers/parts. The signing biz got me thinking that a paper less era is long to come and we are living in a conviniency one.

Hope I didn't bore anyone reading this, but I did mention in a post from couple weeks ago that I would put up a link to where you can find good deals on tech stuffs. I did make some money from knowing this site exist where I found good bargains for resell. I just also found a good site for those using laptop with wifi. You can print out a list of free hotspot places in your city/state, no more StarBuck for me.

www.techbargains.com
www.wififreespot.com

Thanks for reading...Andy

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/14/05 7:25am
Msg #51928

Re: My one year assessment...ENJOYED this article, Andy...

Signings are going to be with us awhile, but I am also looking into diversifying.

THANKS for the free hotspot info!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/14/05 8:33am
Msg #51949

Way to go Andy. So, now I guess I should bill you for all the educational benefits that I provided as well as a hefty surcharge just for the technical know-it-all , er... know-how, that I bestowed upon you. Smiley

All kidding aside, you have done well, without question. You have done your homework and have risen above the "gimme" newcomers. For that I applaud you. Also, as payment of your "dues" you have certainly given back to the NSA community. So I accept that as full payment in return for what little I have contributed to your success.

You make us all proud.

Reply by SDgirl on 7/14/05 4:00pm
Msg #52193

Thanks for this article, I too learned almost everything from this board (and I found it by means of searching and reading over a year ago).. and when things are slow and all of my neighbors and friends are becoming Notaries this kind of article keeps my hopes high! Thanks again

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.