Notary Rotary
New notary
Notary Discussion History

New notary
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by anonymous on 7/22/05 1:58pm
Msg #53924

New notary

I am a new notary and am not sure what an average signing fee is for the East coast as I am in Virginia. Does anyone know what the going fees are for closing docs and a legal letter or something.

Reply by Annonymus on 7/22/05 2:11pm
Msg #53926

Read past discussions on Notary Rotary. You will get a good feel for fees, good/bad SS, industry lingo, etc.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/22/05 4:20pm
Msg #53938

Re: closing docs and a legal letter or something

After pasting the subject, I realize that it just doesn't even need a comment.

Reply by Shannon/Va on 7/22/05 5:18pm
Msg #53953

If you do not know how to price your work, do you even know how to do the closing? If you have ever done one and know how much work is involved, you can determine what to charge.

Reply by :) on 7/22/05 5:51pm
Msg #53961

Charge $45 to beat out you competition.

Reply by Shannon/Va on 7/22/05 5:53pm
Msg #53963

Hell, why not charge $40 then and get it all. You get what you pay for, no experienced notaries charges less than every one else so they get the work. It's all good, the good ones just get to clean up the messes.

Reply by Jenny/CA on 7/22/05 6:27pm
Msg #53973

There seems to be a catch 22 here. I am new as a SA have had 2 signings. One at $115 and another at $85.00. I was offered another at $60.00 but it didn't work out. Other experienced SAs tell me I should not turn $50 away because I need the experience, and why should I ask for more if I am just starting, yet they complain when new SAs do take them.

I am certified through the NNA and am planning on getting certified through Signing Registry, I value what I do and want to be as informed as possible. I don't want the TCs and LOs to take advantage of my inexperience.

BTW I've had my commission 3yrs. will take the test again in Dec.

Reply by Shannon_Va on 7/22/05 8:07pm
Msg #53996

Jenny, I was being sarcastic. Sorry, sometimes the tone doesn't come accross thru typing.

What I was getting at was that we(notaries) have been fighting for a long time to get the fees we deserve. I commend you on your new career and getting those fees. That is great, and I mean that.

Many people take the 40 and 50 dollar signings to gain experience, and that is ok, I did it to. But once you are comfortable, get 50+ signings under your belt, and feel you have the knowledge to be good at what you do, you should get more, you should demand more. Those of us with years of experience deserve more and we are constantly being low balled on fees because of the others that consistntly take those lower fees. I wont take less that 75 within 15 miles of my house. The further away, the higher the fee.

It is just bad for everyone on the long run. But I can totally understand taking some of the lower fee signings to gain experience.

Sorry if I spoke out of context for others. This is really just MY opinion.

Reply by Jenny/CA on 7/22/05 9:50pm
Msg #54018

It's cool. At least I am getting feed back here. I am also learning from your experience, and everyone else on the board... no apology needed.

Reply by Shannon/Va on 7/22/05 5:56pm
Msg #53965

I meant non experienced notary charging less

Reply by Anonymous on 7/22/05 10:58pm
Msg #54039

Thanks for the honest input it seems that inexperience is almost intolerable to some of the others that responded to my request for help. I hope they are as rude with their clients, that way, I am sure to make more money.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.