Notary Rotary
OT - Lawn Tonic
Notary Discussion History

OT - Lawn Tonic
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by CarolynCO on 7/21/05 10:52am
Msg #53583

OT - Lawn Tonic

With the heat (Denver broke a 108 degree temp yesterday), drought and watering restrictions, here is a lawn tonic that I used that summer and continuing to use this summer that does work:

1 can pop (doesn't matter what kind)
1 can beer (doesn't matter what kind)
1/2 cup liquid dishwashing soap
1/2 cup mouthwash
1/2 cup ammonia

mow the lawn late in the evening and then mix the above and put in a 10-gallon hose sprayer bottle (I use one of thos Miracle-Gro Garden & Lawn Feeder plastic bottles that hook onto the hose) and spray, thoroughly wetting the grass. Apply every three weeks.

The dishwashing soap is the wetting agent and helps the tonic formula penetrate to the roots; the ammonia promotes growth and turns the lawn green; the mouthwash kills the bugs/grubs. I forget what the purpose of the beer and pop, but they do something.

I only water about every third day and our grass is pretty green. It's not as lush as it was before our drought and rationing, but it's a lot greener than the remainder of the neighborhood.

Reply by Jenny/CA on 7/21/05 11:10am
Msg #53586

We'll definitely try your "tonic". We also have scheduled water days.

Thanx :-)

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 7/21/05 11:21am
Msg #53590

Are you serious? I'm right out of Chicago, and the same thing. Our lawns look terrible. Soppose to be 100 this week end, and with the humidity, oh my god, it will be terrible.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/21/05 11:23am
Msg #53591

Re: OT - Lawn Tonic - YES I AM SERIOUS. n/m

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/21/05 11:27am
Msg #53592

After yesterday, 100 would seem pretty cool. Dry heat/humidity -- to a point, there is something to it, but anything over 100 is hot no matter what type of heat it is.

Reply by JPS_CA on 7/21/05 11:33am
Msg #53594

I think the beer and pop is for you and the partner when you are done with it

Reply by Martha_AZ on 7/21/05 11:38am
Msg #53596

Here in the Phoenix area, it's hovering around 115 degrees. Too hot to do lawn maintenance. Our cactus are even dying. I agree about the beer being for hydration!

Reply by Tulsa_prlgl on 7/21/05 11:38am
Msg #53597

LoL JPS_CA! I know the caffeine is supposed to revive droopy plants, so maybe it works for grass too!? I will definitely use the tonic-very hot here too. Last summer I couldnt let the kids swim during August because it was only in the low 80's and the water was too cold - for me >;0p

Hope everyone is staying cool-at least my appointments are all early morning or late evening!

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/21/05 12:29pm
Msg #53605

Re: OT - Lawn Tonic - small clarification

re pop and beer -- do not use light beer or diet pop
re dishwashing soap -- do not use antibacterial soap

--
I looked up the source where I found the recipe last year. The reason the ammonia turns the lawn green is because it acts as nitrogen. The beer acts as an enzyme to release nitrogen into the soil and the pop feeds the good bacteria and breaks up the thatch buildup.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 7/21/05 12:52pm
Msg #53610

Sounds like Jerry Green's tonic

From PBS. Have used his tonic and has always worked well. You really use lemon dish soap as that tends to get rid of bugs as well:-)

Reply by Carol/MI on 7/21/05 6:38pm
Msg #53738

Green or Baker?

Sounds like Jerry Baker to me. I've used him formulas in the past and they worked pretty well. Besides they're cheap.

Reply by Dogmonger, Ca on 7/21/05 10:45pm
Msg #53789

You are right, it is Baker

Most of these tonics were passed down from his grandmother, I take a stab at that, but I think I am through butchering names for the day:-)

Reply by Gajillion AL on 7/22/05 7:13am
Msg #53828

That sound similar to one I heard about that is to rid your yard of mosquitos:

Equal parts of the following-
Epsom Salts
Flat beer
Listerine mouth wash

Reply by Stamper_WI on 7/22/05 6:30pm
Msg #53974

Maybe this will repel the racoons that are giving me so much grief! I have wrapped my downspouts in barbed wire to keep them from romping on my metal roof all night...and falling down the chimney. Nothing like a cat meeting a racoon in the basement ....clears the cobwebs

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/22/05 7:47pm
Msg #53988

Let me know if it works on the racoons -- we need something for the beavers.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.