Notary Rotary
Offered a referral wants a kick back
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Gene on 7/30/05 10:06am
Msg #55868

I recently was offered referrals for signings by an escrow officer at a title company. I was at first interested, but concerned as to a conflict of interest issue and the legal aspects. However, I listeded carefully to what he way saying. He wanted a percentage of all signing fees he referred to me, and to be paid in cash. I respectfully declined his offer. Actually I was shocked and upset at his behavior and lack of ethics, and the probability of not continuing to receive his business.

Reply by Nicole_NCali on 7/30/05 11:41am
Msg #55886

He was trying to act like a SS without the actual business

The escrow officer's actions were unethical on some levels, but he was just trying to act as a SS w/o the actual business. What most Title company employees are doing in CA are to become the SA themselves and send the signings in the local area to themselves. This has become a very lucrative side business for the Title co employees.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 7/30/05 12:53pm
Msg #55907

You are right Nicole, on both comments

and I wouldn't take that E/O's offer for one obvious reason - he wants cash and I'd be paying the taxes on it.

Reply by taxpro on 8/1/05 6:04pm
Msg #56253

You should report him to his superior. That was totally unethical and he should be fired. I don't understand why you said you "respectfully" declined his offer. He didn't deserve your respect.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.