Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Oh Boy Do I Need To Say Thank You To Sam and Others!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Teresa Welter CA on 7/14/05 10:57pm
Msg #52346

A Great Big and I do mean BIG Thank You to Sam, Joan_NJ, AngelinaAZ, Brian/CA, PAW Fl, and BarbaraL CA. I so appreciate what you all did for me!

And AngelinaAZ, thank you so much for the kind words about doing well. That was really nice!

So here are the details-

Everything went well with two exceptions. 1st is I felt very bad for the guy because it seemed like he really should have shopped around for rates. But of course I couldn't tell him that. That was really hard because he said they hadn't told him what the rate would be and he "couldn't believe it was that high." I have to agree with him. But I had to sit there and just keep telling him that he had three days (technically four) to change his mind. I said that if he felt uncomfortable he should contact the lender first thing in the morning and discuss it with him. And the whole time I felt almost like I was telling a lie because he is correct about the rate. Of course, I know I don't know anything about his credit scores and other factors, but it was really tough.

My hand was a little shaky at first, but it didn't help that it was 7:30 and still almost 100 degrees outside. Inside was worse because they had just arrived home after being gone for two days and the wife said that her automatic air timer failed to work. So you can imagine that I was shaky.

The other problem was one of my own fault. On one of the Affidavit's (not the tax one but the other) my stinkin stamp came through a little light on the right side. I know it is my fault. But I did go slow and held it down so I don't know why that happened. So right now I am worried that I have caused a huge problem and not only will the poor guy get his money (if he even goes through with it, which at this point I seriously doubt), but I doubt I will get paid and they will probably never call me again.

So if nothing else, I have learned some incredible lessons today. And if it hadn't been for all of you wonderful and extremely patient people, I don't know what I would have done.

By the way, when I was leaving I informed the client and his wife that this was my very first signing because I wanted to see their reaction. They were both very shocked. So maybe that is a good sign as far as style goes. The rest will come in time I guess!

Have a fantastic evening everyone!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 7/14/05 11:07pm
Msg #52350

Congratulations!

You did it and you're on your way to a successful business! The more signings you do the more comfortable you'll become. By the way, if the stamp doesn't stamp correctly you can always draw a line or X thru it and restamp it... it's ok to do that. Again, congratulations and sleep well tonight :-)

Reply by Teresa Welter CA on 7/14/05 11:42pm
Msg #52370

To Barbara Follow-up question to your reply.

Barbara,

Do you think I should do that? There is room. And if you do think I should, would I just draw a straight line through, so as not to make a mess of the doc? And if I do that do you think they will still be mad because it looks bad?

Also, is it legal to do that now when I am not with the client? Just want to do the right thing here. Thank you!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/14/05 11:49pm
Msg #52380

Re: To Barbara Follow-up question to your reply.

Yes fix the stamp. They won't get mad. Draw one line.. or even an X through it neatly and re-stamp. And yes it's fine to still fix it now that you are not with them.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 7/14/05 11:51pm
Msg #52382

Re: Teresa - in reply...

If it's a "little light" but still readable it should be ok.
If I "mess up" a stamp I'll cross it out and restamp it at the signing.
The other option while you are still at the signing is to swap out the page with the borrower's copy of the page and then redo it.... I would do this if it were the DOT.

Reply by Teresa Welter CA on 7/14/05 11:55pm
Msg #52384

Well, I can read it because I know what's there by looking at the other side. However, if that other side were not there then I wouldn't know what it said.

And as far as switching with borrowers copy, I wish I had thought of that!

Is it legal to fix it now? Or is that a no-no?

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 7/15/05 12:02am
Msg #52389

It's OK :-)

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/14/05 11:47pm
Msg #52377

Re: Congratulations!

Good job Teresa. Trust me... in less than two weeks that feeling in the pit of your stomach will be just a faint memory.

The only thing I would change... JMO... I would not say that it is your 1st (2nd, 3rd ...) signing. I know why you did it and it was probably fine but the look you saw may have been panic. As far as the borrowers are concerned, you've been doin' this forever and are a pro!

Again... JMO.

So... good job. And don't thank me... I didn't do anything. It was all Sam!

Reply by Teresa Welter CA on 7/14/05 11:51pm
Msg #52381

Angelina

I won't do it again. But actually the reason I did it is because they called their neighbor over as I was leaving because she is a brand new notary and they wanted me to meet her. So I was more saying it out of making her feel good about the business but also to see a reaction.

Do you happen to have an answer to what I just asked Barbara?

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/14/05 11:56pm
Msg #52385

I'm in AZ and my law doesn't say that I HAVE to be in front of the borrowers to actually complete the certificate. Barbara is in your state so I would definately take any advice she gives re: that. As far as the re-stamp... only you can see how bad it is... we both say the same thing... redo it if you need to.

Reply by Teresa Welter CA on 7/15/05 12:05am
Msg #52390

Okay, I did it. I will now just hold my breath and hope it all turns out well. Thank you for the help AGAIN! Now I just have to figure out my shipping label issue with Federal Express. There is this little piece that says sign here to leave without a signature and it is like a little sticky piece that you pull off and I don't know if I am supossed to sign there or not. I would just ask the delivery person but I have to put it in the box because I go to my first day on the job for Real Estate tomorrow so I won't be home to call them. Anyway, thanks again!

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/15/05 9:05am
Msg #52434

Don't worry about signing it, TC and lenders are always going to be open when fedex arrives or they have already signed off for packages to be left like we have. Hope you feel better this morning.

Reply by Brian/CA on 7/15/05 12:41am
Msg #52404

Teresa, borrowers reaction made me laugh....

My brother-in- law when he was young drove an ambulance. On his first night, they were sent to pick up a man who was having a heart attack. On the way to the hospital, the man says to my brother-in- law, " This is my first time in an ambulance." To which my brother-in- law replied without thinking, "Mine, too!"

Reply by Teresa Welter CA on 7/15/05 12:47am
Msg #52407

Re: Teresa, borrowers reaction made me laugh....

Thanks for sharing Brian/CA. That was really funny. Maybe now (because you made me laugh), I can actually go to bed now and sleep and not lay there worrying about these docs!

Reply by AngelinaAZ on 7/15/05 12:50am
Msg #52409

Re: Teresa, borrowers reaction made me laugh....

Stop worrying! I'm sure you did great. At my first signing I did the same thing... lots of prep... lots of time... went through it 20 million times... got confused... and then realized that I had the whole thing signed in my fancy new black pens that I had just bought and the signing was supposed to be in blue!

Reply by Glena/NV on 7/15/05 9:05am
Msg #52433

You did fine! As far as the seal goes, if it ever happens

again, just find another space for a stamp on that form and restamp it. Just make sure that it is clearer this time. I have not seen your original post but the highest interest rate I have seen this year was 10.99% Adjustable rate. Of course I felt bad for the signer also, but could not say anything. He seemed to be ok with it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.