Notary Rotary
Query for Signing Services & Others - Work for new notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 7/19/05 1:30pm
Msg #53139

Recently, I have received emails from new notaries who are trying to get work from signing services, but of course, they do not have experience.

One lady in particular is a paralegal and a very astute person who is doing her due dilligence and even taking a notary class even though her state does not require it.

She deserves a little assistance, but my experience nearly two years ago is practically obsolete as far as this goes. Things have changed so much.

If you do allow brand new notaries to work for you, would you please drop me a line, or post this information if you feel inclined.

Same goes for notaries who want to post or forward that kind of information to me.

Brenda

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/19/05 4:21pm
Msg #53185

Brenda - I too am a Certified Paralegal & had no "outside" experience doing loan closings when I started in 4/03.

I had worked as a closer for a Title Co. for a very short time before going out on my own, but had 4+ years experience in the Real Estate and Title Industry. I was able to break into the Signing Services by sending information that focused on the experience that I DID have and NOT the experience that I was lacking. I always offered to send references and encouraged the companies to call and "quiz" me. As it turned out, I had more hands on experience and knew more about the docs than many newly "Certified" Signing Agents did and the companies were happy to give me a try. I also guarantee my work and stand behind that guarantee 100%.

A person new to the SA field but not new to closings can get the business. They just have to work a little harder at breaking down the barriers formed by NNA propaganda. By using the above tactic, I was able to convince vendor management folks and recruiters to take my in-house experience in lieu of my outside experience and by-pass the two year rule.

Good luck to the astute new one.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/19/05 5:07pm
Msg #53196

>>I was able to break into the Signing Services by sending information that focused on the experience that I DID have and NOT the experience that I was lacking. I always offered to send references and encouraged the companies to call and "quiz" me. <<

Me too...that's the way I got my first signing...just days after I listed myself here.

PacDocSign.com THANK YOU...to them.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/19/05 5:09pm
Msg #53199

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of SSs on this.

If I were an SS...if a person filled out the application without spelling errors, they'd already be in the front of the line...no matter what the experience.

Reply by kwink/ca on 7/19/05 10:51pm
Msg #53267

Becca: How do you guarantee your work? By fixing anything...

that needs to be fixed for free?

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/20/05 1:35am
Msg #53292

I guarantee my work like this...

"I am so confident in my work product here is my guarantee: If I make a mistake on something that is within my control, you will not be expected to pay one single dollar of my fee. And, I will still go back and correct my error."

Reply by Becca/FL on 7/19/05 4:26pm
Msg #53187

Ohh - BTW

Brenda - hang on to your hat! Those NE feeder bands can be hell! I rode out Dennis' NE feeder bands in a sail boat on the river in Ft. Lauderdale and it was no picnic; we had gusts to 63mph. Good thing I don't get sea sick!

Stay safe and dry.

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/19/05 5:08pm
Msg #53197

>>One lady in particular is a paralegal << Should have said she has a degree in paralegal studies.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/19/05 5:32pm
Msg #53203

Just lie...

I mean this in the best of ways. IF you know your stuff and have REALLY, I MEAN REALLY done your homework and can be quized about the different docs and explain them forwards and backwards...lie, tell them you've been doing it for a yr and have 50 signings done. They lie to us and say they are only paid $100 when they offer you $60 or $75. (and by the way...I always tell them that they aren't doing good business anyway if that is ALL they are getting)

But seriously, you shouldn't be doing this job if you can't describe the docs completely. So if you can, lie and then you will gain experience.

I had experience, but I did know someone who did just that, lied about her experience and never once had a company second guess her and out of the first 40 loans, she missed printing her name under her signature because the lines were so close together. Not bad I don't think.

Had she screwed up, then she would've shot herself in the foot for future business.

***Disclaimer: I don't recommend that you should lie regularly, but for the hoops we have to jump through to get the education, wrok,etc. I'd like to see the loan officer's AND the employee's calling requesting to schedule the signing with us have to go through training to know what it is that they are setting up. I think it's ridiculous that a loan officer thinks a borrower has to sign a satisfaction of mortgage, or a person calls to get you to do a signing and you ask if it's a refi or a heloc and they say "I don't know, what are those?" THAT'S where the training should be!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.