Notary Rotary
SS and SA relationship - revisited from yesterday
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by SherryB on 7/21/05 8:21am
Msg #53536

There were some threads posted yesterday that I wanted to re-address...I DO NOT COME ON THIS BOARD TO PLUG MY BUSINESS. I have yet to solicit anyone on these boards and I do not plan on doing so....I have never and will never list my business name unless someone asks me directly. That is why I spend 15 hours per week calling notaries and giving them interviews and letting them know that there are agencies out there that want a relationship with them. I am here because I truly believe that reading your posts will help me to better my relationship with the closers that I DO HAVE AN ONGOING RELATIONSHIP with. I work with over 200 closers in Florida alone and I have had an ongoing relationship with over 90% of them. I pay my closers twice per month, and am always willingto negotiate for going above and beyond... I agree, I did choose my profession but all I was trying to say is that we shouldn't bash anyone. I am not at all resentful of lenders and brokers....I am not mad at them...and I dont care that they make more money! Waht I was trying to get across to no avail is that we are in a very similar boat as you and instead of BASHING eachother, we need to be more understanding of eachother. When I listen to SOME of the people in hear, there is a whole lot of anger toward SA's and its aggravating....If you do not like what they pay, how they pay, etc., etc...stay away from them..That is a single SS...WE ARE NOT ALL LIKE THAT. Again...on the prior, I was lumped in with "$50 companies", "who are just coming on here to plug my business".....As for Anonymous....I have no quam about coming on here saying that I charge my clients $150 and pay the closers $100. I think that is quite competitive. If there are any questions that you want a direct answer to, please feel free to ask. I have nothing to hide..I just think that SA's and SS's need to have mutual respect for eachother... As I have stated before....I KNOW that I cannot do what I do without SA's and I let my SA's know that. I am confident that should any of them post here that they would say the same!

Reply by hcampersFL on 7/21/05 8:33am
Msg #53539

Sherry I appreciate your posting again to clarifiy your position. I'm in Fl. if you need someone in the Northwest part of the state.
b.

Reply by Not. in FL on 7/21/05 9:58am
Msg #53569

And I am in South Florida. Please post your e-mail or SS info, so that I can get in contact with you!!
TIA

Reply by SherryB on 7/21/05 10:05am
Msg #53573

Hopefully, this will not be misconstrued by anyone plugging my business as stated in previous emails..LOL....If you would like, you can fax your info to 772-365-4692 and I will be glad to take a look at it. Thanks!

Reply by NY_Taxlady on 7/21/05 11:06am
Msg #53584

Do you only do Fl. closing or do you have NY contacts.

Reply by SherryB on 7/21/05 11:09am
Msg #53585

We JUST started providing nationwide coverage..We have worked some of the east coast and a few in NY...you are more than welcome to send some info (to 772-365-4692) though for future reference. Thanks for inquiring!

Reply by BrendaTX on 7/21/05 12:24pm
Msg #53603

Re: SS and SA relationship - plugging

Unlike some, I don't have a problem with hiring entities "plugging" their businesses here. It's good to know what's available and who is looking for NSAs.

Others do have a problem with it. I perceive that the message not to plug businesses does not apply to those who would hire notaries. But, many of my respected buddies here feel differently. That's their opinion and they are entitled to it.

If we cannot be honest about how we perceive our industry, this board and the whole ball of wax in general, it would be pointless to interact with the others here.

I realize I say a lot of things that others find offensive, but I do not say it to be an offender. Rather, I give my perspective and opinion. I have learned a lot from the words I'd rather not hear over the years. It may not make sense today, but in three months I might say "Aha!" and be grateful for the education.

Reply by Select Processing Servivces - Southeast Michigan on 7/21/05 10:18am
Msg #53576

SA have the power...to accept or decline low paying SS.

Ahhh yes. I read over the posts from yesterday. I am of the opinion that if a SS advises you upfront what they will pay, you(independent contractor) must decide if said fees are acceptable to you or not. If acceptable, then take the job and do your best. If not, then say no thank you and move on. I have found that those SS that are upfront and honest about their fees and that pay as agreed---should be commended. How can you not respect that in this business?

I agree with the post from yesterday. We definitely should not attach SS but try to collectively work together(SA & SS) to educate and influence the decision makers on how important and necessary the function of a signing agent is. Only then can everyone truly be compensated appropriately. I do not believe $50 is an acceptable fee compared to what one would make working for the title companies. However, depending on the circumstance/situation (10-20 HELOCS that is next day delivered) it can be an easy, 15 minutes in and out $50 earned. Also, remember that comparing the compensation that TCs pay to that of SS is like comparing apples to oranges.

We all know how valueable our services are and that without us, the loan would not close or disburse. Until fee changes can be overhauled, each individual has to decide what they want to earn and what is just not acceptable pay for services renedered.

That just MHO.

I hope everyone is having a GRANDE day. Remember, YOU make it happen!

Now...back to signings

Markita-MI

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/21/05 12:18pm
Msg #53602

Sherry, you sound like you've made an obvious effort to figure out what is going to give you a good working relationship with quality notaries, which will ultimately lead to more success for you as a signing service. I don't think anybody is bashing that, nor should they.

I wasn't even bashing Liz in my posts, I just asked a simple question - why doesn't she pay more than $50 for a signing? She's the one who chose to talk around the question and try to make it seem like I was attacking her when I kept getting back to the original question. And of course, she never did answer it beyond "even if you're getting paid $200 you're worth more than that". OK, fine, then why is she only paying $50 if she thinks we're worth more?

I understand the postion of signing services just fine. While there is nothing specifically "wrong" with what Liz is doing, she's hardly doing us any great shakes by paying what is pretty much universally considered the lowest acceptable fee possible on a very mediocre pay schedule. A person with as much respect for the position of signing agents as she claims to have would aspire to do a little better by us than she is doing.

And it's completely fair to call a spade a spade in these situations - she wants more money in her pocket so she tries to play up the free things that's she's doing, like treating us with the utmost respect and not making us hound her for payment. Big whoop, she should be doing that stuff anyway.

Talk is cheap, she should put her money where her mouth is.

Reply by SherryB on 7/21/05 12:27pm
Msg #53604

You have a right to your opinion Cali and I am not here to defend anyone...(accept myself of course)...I DO AGREE THAT $50.00 is not a fair compensation BUT the SA's don't have to do work for SS's who pay that..Its all about choices....Heck, I wish I could make more money off of each closing that I schedule BUT I also realize that the SA's are the one's that are performing the work...The only way to have SA's that will go above and beyond the call of duty is to compensate them accordingly. That way it is a mutually beneficial relationship...I appreciate your comments.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/21/05 2:34pm
Msg #53658

To SherryB and Liz- SS and SA relationship - Plugging

To Sherry,

1) I should have addressed the $50 signing issue specifically to Liz. You have stated that you pay a standard $100 for Edoc and value your client relationships and I respect that.

2) Regarding plugging- the statement was this.

**I also think that if you are going to surf these boards and watch for posts that you can jump on for a 'plug', which although shrouded in concern or helpful comments, is still a plug, you should at least be honest and forthright in your answers to direct questions. Don't come on this board and then insult us by dancing around the questions. JMO**

Sherry B, I have not seen you do this. In fact, to give you a plug, I have seen you be very straightforward.

I have seen Liz skirt around issues MANY times. As I stated, I don't have a problem with a plug, I have a problem with a plug ONLY! I feel it is unprofessional and inappropriate on this board to jump on chances to bring attention to yourself (We pay within 30 days!! We are soooo busy right now! We treat our notaries with respect! If you have a question, call me, Liz at the Notary Biz!) but then dance around REAL questions??? There are probably many notaries that don't care, but FYI, it is disrespectful. This is not an SS board. Calinotary asked her several straighforward questions and she dances around them. Several people in the past have asked questions and it is the same thing.

I have a few more additional questions for Liz although I sincerely doubt that I will get an answer.

1) If you were only a mere employee of 24/7 (we all can estimate how much the SS employees make) how is it that you were able to open a signing service?

Maybe it was opened on the backs of all those unpaid notaries. Or, maybe it was opened by being a $50 SS and pocketing a majority of the profit. Either way, you are the middle man and should not be taking a majority of the profit. We have expenses too. The gross amount that we are paid is not what we profit.

I think that notaries are being extremely naive if they think that $50 SS's are not hurting our industry. We should take a poll on how many notaries are now being called by Title Companies directly but are only being offered the measely $75, maybe $100 for Edoc. There are vultures out there people. The Lenders and Title Companies are seeing what we will work for if we have to and they just might cut out the middle man themselves. It is happening in my area already! I mean let's be honest, if you have a question, can you really even get an answer from the SS or do you have to contact someone that at least sees the documents.

To the many notaries on this board that I respect, I apologize for posting anonymously. The first time I did it, it was by accident when I was changing the subject line. Now I'm thinking it was probably a good idea. I don't plan on making a habit out of it!

Reply by CaliNotary on 7/21/05 3:22pm
Msg #53687

Re: To SherryB and Liz- SS and SA relationship - Plugging

"1) If you were only a mere employee of 24/7 (we all can estimate how much the SS employees make) how is it that you were able to open a signing service?"

For what it's worth, when I had a problem with Liz at 24/7 I asked another employee who her supervisor was and I was told that there was no supervisor, that she was the top person.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/22/05 2:44am
Msg #53818

Just as I suspected!

For what it's worth - it speaks volumes that there has been no reply.

(SherryB, before you get offended- this does not apply to you.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.