Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Signing Industry "Best Practices" - what say you?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Mike/ca on 7/29/05 5:12pm
Msg #55772

TOPIC: Scheduling

I get a lot of assignments that aren't scheduled when I get them - the ss or title co tells me that I can schedule it, as long as it signs on Tuesday, for example. Although I like arranging my appointments, I find it to be a problem when I'm busy. Example:

I accept the "Jones" assignment knowing that (1) it needs to be done tomorrow and (2) I have no idea when the borrower is available (you can't assume that everyone will be available in the pm - in this example we'll say that Jones can only sign during the day @ his work). I leave messages for Jones, he's not calling back. Meanwhile, I'm getting multiple calls for other assignments for tomorrow. If I accept them how do I know I'm not booking for a time Jones needs? I can assume that by leaving a pm slot open I'll be able to get Jones done, but that assumption would be wrong in this example. Or, I could book out my schedule and call the client to tell them I no longer have time for Jones, but of course the docs have already been sent. Or, I could refrain from booking more jobs for Tuesday, losing $$ while I wait for a call back from Jones.

It seems that the hiring party (ss, title, or broker) in this instance is saying "here, take this order but don't you dare take any others, because we need you to leave your schedule open indefinitely". Seems impractical to expect another business (me) to operate that way.

I had a call today to see if I could do a signing on "Monday or Tuesday of next week". I responded "when will the docs be ready?" She replied, "Oh, we don't have them yet, we just need to find a notary." I replied, "Well, at this moment in time I don't have anything scheduled for those days, but my schedule changes constantly as I book new jobs for specific time slots." She replied, "so are you available?"

Of course, with that much notice I could have accepted the job (and did), but my point is that this business works best when (1) docs are ready before the signing is ordered and (2) the appoinment is scheduled with borrower before ordering the signing (or at least get a window). To a degree, it's unfair to everyone involved - title, ss, notary, borrower - to operate any other way. And, it's incredibly inefficient and dare I say illogical. Reason:

Those of us who understand the mortgage business know that the loan officer is the reason signings get ordered before docs are ready (and they're the cause of nearly every other PREVENTABLE problem/delay on a loan file, but I won't get into that). Title people know better than to call a notary or ss (who then calls a notary) before they've received docs. It's the lo who's saying "I just ORDERED docs, we need a notary". Please.

As for ordering the signing before scheduling the appointment, nobody is innocent here - why call the borrower when the notary can do it? Many lo's cringe at the thought of having to call the borrower - what if the they want to discuss the terms! Title people are just too busy - we have to get docs out! SS are getting paid to fill an order - find a notary quick! - and thus, don't usually ADD the step of scheduling with borrower BEFORE finding a notary, although I'm sure there are many exceptions which were probably bourne from realizing the very problems I've outlined here.

What say you?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 5:46pm
Msg #55775

The majority of signings coming through my SS are not scheduled. I let the signing agent know to schedule a time and let me know.
They usually like this, so they can schedule it to fit in with their schedule.

I like getting those signings myself where I can set the time with the borrower

Reply by Mike/CA on 7/29/05 6:01pm
Msg #55780

I agree that it can be more convenient for the notary's schedule if the appointment isn't pre-set, but it may not be for the borrower's schedule. And again, if the notary's very busy and the borrower won't call back to schedule, you've got a problem on your hands where time is of the essence. Notaries' schedules do book up, they go out of town, etc.

Wouldn't you agree that, at minimum, step 1 should be satisfied prior to contracting a notary -that is, having the docs ready or at least knowing when they'll be ready? Do you see a problem with the "are you available for a signing on Monday or Tuesday of next week" scenario? Your agent says yes, schedules for Monday, docs arrive on Tuesday. Why even have Monday as an option? Why even call the notary without knowing when lender will draw docs?

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/29/05 6:29pm
Msg #55784

**if the notary's very busy and the borrower won't call back to schedule, you've got a problem on your hands **

That's why if you must leave a voice message, it is so important to stress the urgency of calling you back. To date, and I've been doing this for over a year, I've never had a borrower fail to return my call.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 7:03pm
Msg #55787

When I call the signing agent, before shipping out the confirmation, if they only have a set time they will be available, I give them the borrowers number and they call the borrower, if the borrower cannot make the time the signing agent is available the signing agent calls me back right away and I call the next signing agent on my list. And I have only had to call another signing agent about twice.

But, the docs are always overnighted to the signing agent for delivery the day of the signing, and signing agent usually knows when the carrier delivers in their area.

Reply by Anonymous on 7/29/05 7:30pm
Msg #55792

To Sylvia

Is NY one of your signing areas?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/29/05 8:24pm
Msg #55800

Re: To Sylvia

No, I am in Florida only. I did get asked to fill an order for a NY signing agent the other week as the signer was in NY, property in Fl. I passed the info for a NY signing agent on to the title company so they could hire direct.

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/29/05 6:25pm
Msg #55783

I can see where you are coming from, but I have to disagree -- I like the flexibility of scheduling the time with Borrowers. I have never felt it such a huge problem. In my initial call, whether I'm leaving a voice message or actually speaking to Borrowers, I tell them who I am, and that I either have their loan docs already, or that I will get them. I usually express that time is of the essence and the importance of the signing and that it will normally take between 45 minutes to an hour. I tell them that docs need to be signed before such and such day "and what is your availability." Once we agree on a date/time that works for all of us, I schedule the appointment, reminding them to make a copy of their drivers license that I need to send back with the loan package. I advise that once I get the docs, I will let them know if I need to collect money at the table.

Once I have a *set* time for the signing with the borrowers, then I *immediately* call either the SS, TC or LO and advise them of the time of the signing and the *drop dead* time that I will need the docs.

I would say that 95-98% of the time, this works with little or no problems.

If you don't like scheduling the signing times yourself, simply tell the SS, TC or LO to call you once the time is set.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 7/29/05 8:15pm
Msg #55798

I would love to set the times myself. I find the borrow is happier also. it seem that the loan officers would like to have it set in stone when it leaves their desks.

Reply by ChristiSocal on 7/30/05 1:12am
Msg #55850

I like to set the time myself too, what I really don't like is -calling the borrower to confirm the time the ss told me and finding out the borrower had no idea the time was set and it's not usually a good time for them at that!

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/30/05 7:26am
Msg #55855

Exactly. More times than not I have found that there has been *little* or no communication with borrowers from the loan officer, and like you said, someone else's *preset time* that they aren't even aware of before I call, isn't good for them.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/30/05 7:57am
Msg #55858

I hate that too. When I call the borrowers when there is a preset time, I always ask if the time set is convenient for them. Some times they prefer a different time.

Reply by MB/CA on 7/30/05 10:33am
Msg #55870

From one who is starting out! I wish I had your problem. I'm new and lucky if I get a call a week! I'm soooo jealous! : )

Reply by JanetK/CA on 7/31/05 5:06pm
Msg #56112

I agree with you. More often, the problem is that the preset times overlap or are too close together, during the "golden hours" when most people are home and available. If I can schedule it myself, I have a better chance of fitting in more appointments - especially when dealing with unknowns like edoc arrival times.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.