Notary Rotary
Thinking of becoming a notary.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Michelle on 7/28/05 4:01pm
Msg #55396

Hello, I live in the San Diego area and I'm thinking of taking the course/test. What is an average baseline income - $25k a year and more?

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/28/05 4:04pm
Msg #55398

Is it the radio commercials or the NNA you've been listening to when it comes to baseline income?

Reply by SL/CA on 7/28/05 4:14pm
Msg #55402

Well, Ca is verysaturated.... Well I have been doing closings since Nov 2004, and I have made approx. $ 3,000.00 that is in 8 months.. The NNA makes it sound like a get rich quick thing. In my area, I have 450 notaries in a 25 mile radius. That makes it very difficult to find work, it can be done don't get me wrong, but in these saturated areas, you really have to market yourself like crazy. Good luck, and just know that this is not easy work,.. it can be very enjoyable, ... I LOVE IT !!! .. But don't go quiting your day job right away... and Hey I could be wrong, some out there sound like they are keeping very busy, so you just never know. Again good luck. Smiley

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 7/28/05 4:30pm
Msg #55405

I read an article this week that Florida has more notaries than CA.
My area has become saturated and I have had to do inspections
which is steady and not tied to the interest rate.

Reply by Michelle on 7/28/05 7:32pm
Msg #55450

Thank you. I'm a medical transcriptionist, and I'll not let that go in favor of being an notary, but I every new chance at income brings possibilities!

Reply by Sam I am in CA on 7/30/05 10:58am
Msg #55874

Re: Thinking of becoming a transcriptionist

Michelle - I was just offered a chance to do some transcription work. They are providing me with the software and foot pedal. It is just straight interviews - no medical jargon, etc. I have been told it takes about 5 hours to transcribe one hour's worth of talking.
Does this sound right to you?
The job pays $25 per hour. Is this 'normal'?

Reply by TCMN on 7/28/05 4:42pm
Msg #55409

What you make depends on...

...what you are going to put into your business. And I don't say that in any "snide" way either. It really boils down to just that. You just gave little information to base a judgement on how to answer your question. So let me say this:

Can you make $25,000/yr? Yes
Can you make less? Yes
Can you make more? Yes

What you have to ask yourself some questions :

What do you want to get out of being an NSA?

Do you want money? Then work HARD

Do you want freedom? Then work HARD now to have it later.

Do you want to be your own boss? Well, then decide if you want to be a "poor" one or one that meets YOUR idea of a successful one.

Do you want just make some extra money doing it for Christmas and Vacations? Then I would rather work at something else LESS stressful and make the same but get a discount at the place I'm working at.

How much do you want to work? PT or FT
If it's PT, then in CA, I doubt you will make $25,000/yr...it's probably the "less" answer.
If it's FT, then I think you could make that.
I'm not from CA so I can't say for certain but that is my guess. AND you will not generally do that your first year, (in CA) and that I could be wrong about , but again I am making that guess from what everyone says on the various boards.

There are just more things to ask then can I make $25,000/yr at being a NSA.

Now, based on MY situation...I have been doing this awhile now and I think when I started I might have been in the right place at the right time, but I would bet my money on the major reason being that I worked my butt off to get me beyond the $25,000 my first year. I know I could've done more had I marketed like I do now, but I couldn't take more at the time. There was about 3 months that I researched before I jumped in the NSA world ( I don't do anything "half-assed"). I was lucky to have the background in EVERY part of the mortgage process so I think that was a major asset. My work ethic is far more than most people- I'm told. (I do not take a day off unless it's for my childrens functions or a business trip) I also have another business that I was doing FT when I started and I started being a NSA full time right off the bat. Thus 80+ hrs a week. Not too many people want to do that.
So...if you are thinking you want to do this FT then you'll get what you put into it. If you're looking for PT, then based on your location, you will not get $25,000/yr until you have only title companies that you work for and you have about 2-3 yrs to get those. (unless you have a friend who hooks you up or something "lucky" like that)

Hope that helps a little.

btw...I'm back to that "pre-NSA" time... working til 3am, getting up at 5:30-6am again 7 days a week....I'm starting my 4th company and hope it's the one that can take me through the high school years, college years, kids coming back to support them again after they see the real world for what it is and then some years. lol Smiley No, really...I've come to believe that my discovery that I have adult ADD has benefits...being a successful entrepreneur. I don't think I had been where I am today if I didn't have it. Smiley

jmho Smiley

Reply by Michelle on 7/29/05 1:54pm
Msg #55719

Re: What you make depends on...

Thanks for your message.

I do have a lot of contacts in San Diego, so I put my name out on the street, per say, and hopefully I'll get things rolling fairly fast.

What do you get for:
1. Witnessing a will, etc. (don't have to go into long details, just a few).

Thanks so much!

Reply by CarolynCO on 7/29/05 3:10pm
Msg #55746

Re: What you make depends on...

What you can charge for a general notarization is different than what you charge for loan docs. You need to get your state handbook and read the *allowable MAXIMUM* you can charge on general notarizations, i.e., wills, etc.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.