Notary Rotary
This is strange..
Notary Discussion History

This is strange..
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by SDgirl on 7/14/05 11:46pm
Msg #52376

This is strange..

Upon checking my email this evening I saw that I was sent loan docs for a signing that I never accepted. They came straight from an escrow company. The email says... Docs attached, please call borrowers by 5p.m. to set appointment. Signed "Escrow Co" I have never worked for this company before obviously I did not call the borrowers on time, since I just read the email. I am planning to call the escrow tomorrow BUT I am very booked tomorrow :< Has this happened to anyone before?

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 7/14/05 11:57pm
Msg #52386

Did you accept an e-doc assignment from a Signing Service? Often the Escrow Co. will send the docs directly to the SA.

Reply by Kimberly-IN on 7/15/05 12:07am
Msg #52391

You never know, it could be another hacker trying to destroy someones computer

Reply by Kay / NV on 7/15/05 12:09am
Msg #52393

Glenna from NV, had the same thing happen yesterday. Documents showed up from SOX, I think. She never spoke with them nor accepted the signing. She had other jobs to do plus she stated she wouldn't work for them due to their payment history.

Reply by SDgirl on 7/15/05 12:17am
Msg #52395

I accepted signings with edocs from 2 other companies but not for these borrowers... I did receive those allready.

Reply by Melody on 7/15/05 1:59am
Msg #52416

Don't open it

Signed "Escrow Co" is definitely suspicious. That would make me extra-wary too.

I get fake emails from real title company clients with "Hi" in the subject line. Yeah, right. These emails are always viruses. Hackers have obviously gotten into one of my client TC's database.

Why not hit reply and send a polite email saying that you have no idea what signing they are referring to and would they please email you the details and their phone number before xam Eastern Time?

I wouldn't give out my phone number. Calls from Nigeria - that's all you need!

Take a look at the sender's email. Can you get any info from that?

I've had this happen. A favorite TC tried to call me for a job but I was in Canada for the day and missed the call. They gave the job to another notary and then accidentally sent the docs to me.

I would go on with your day and not worry about this until you get a phone call. Then you can either accomodate them for a rush fee or not.

Reply by Marla FL on 7/15/05 7:41am
Msg #52425

It has happened to me!

My email address was close to another persons email address.

Reply by Glena/NV on 7/15/05 8:51am
Msg #52431

Happened to me with SOX

I was at a signing at 6:45 pm when my husband called me and said that he already printed the documents for my 8:00 pm appointment. I told him that I do not have and 8:00 pm. I cannot do an 8:00 pm because I would be halfway finishing another signing at that time. He said, that the lady she had spoken to said that I knew about it. I told him that no one has called me to confirm an appointment.

Anyway, half-way home now, I called to find out who the company was. It was SOX (Sign on the X). I was beyond belief! I would never do any business with these people! I have not spoken to anyone at their office and I just received the surprise package from them along with the confirmation without calling me! That shows unprofessionalism! I guess that they are hurting because they cannot find notaries to work for them anymore, so they resort to these kind of tricks. I hope that they will finally catch on...no one will work for them with their bad reputation scattered across every forums.

Reply by ColleenCA on 7/15/05 9:11am
Msg #52435

Re: Happened to me with SOX

The thing that really bugs me about Glena's story is not only SOX thinking they can get away with this with SA's but with all of the identity theft out there they would actually just send loan docs out without even checking to see who they are sending it to. If I were a borrower in that situation and found out that this happened, I would be very angry! I wonder if they just send out the edocs to as many as they can in an area and hope someone takes it "up for grabs"? Amazing!

Reply by Cyn_NY on 7/15/05 10:11am
Msg #52442

SOX got me to do a job before I started reading this board in early May. It was close by & turned out to be overnight docs, and they agreed to my fee. Even though I found out about their reputation before the actual job, I was stuck.

EOM June they tried to get me to take another job with e-docs, which would have been very far, and in rush hour traffic. When I said I hadn't been paid for my first job, they said their policy was to pay at the end of the following month. It also appeared that they would agree to any fee I would quote, no matter how high. Lo & behold, I have not received my check for May.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this Board for alerting me, since I may have taken the second job, without realizing that I would never be paid for either job.

Reply by Les/CO on 7/15/05 10:44am
Msg #52449

I guess they are getting desperate? They now charge TC's $116 for a refi. They say they have thousands of experienced notaries nationwide. They can do a closing anytime/anywhere (same price even in attorney states! HA! Lets see then NOT pay Attorneys!!)They but on a good presentation, unfortunally for those that don't know their reputation.

All you newbies out there, keep taking their assignments, lets keep them in business.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 7/15/05 10:50am
Msg #52452

Glena
I had a similar experience with them. They called me for a signing, and I turned it down. They asked what it would take for me to do the signing for them. I told them I wouldn't do it under any circumstances.
I thought that was the end of it.
The next day the docs arrived on my doorstep. I called SOX and told them I had turned down the signing and had no intention of doing it. They said the borrowers had already been given my name and were expecting me and it would be very unprofessional of me not to show.
I told them it wasn't my problem, and they needed to get someone to come pick up the docs.
I also called the LO and explained to him why I had refused the signing, and that I would never under any circumstances work for SOX.
Someone picked up the docs from me. I wonder if they had problems getting paid.

Reply by Glena/NV on 7/16/05 3:21am
Msg #52652

What is more amazing is that...with all of these posts

in every forums, there are still those that are taking the chance to work for them. If I decide to be generous, I would volunteer at the convalescent homes. I have done that and have peace of mind knowing that even though I was not going to be paid, they were my own decisions. I was not going to struggle collecting from them.

Regarding some of the posts here...if they only charge $116/refi, they would have made $16 only on that transaction because their confirmation stated that they were going to pay me $100. Their management need to go back to school and study accounting.

If they are indeed the same company as Signature Plus, I wonder how many notaries get to accept orders from Signature Plus and ended up getting SOX confirmation. That would be deception. Since most notaries will not work for SOX but might end up accepting orders if it was Signature Plus that called to confirm order, not knowing they are the same company.

Sylvia, I could not believe that they have the nerve to call you "unprofessional" when you have never accepted the order to begin with. I wonder if they ever thought of themselves as that way.

Reply by Les/CO on 7/16/05 8:29am
Msg #52657

Re: What is more amazing is that...with all of these posts

I does not matter WHAT they "promise" if they don't pay you at all.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.