Notary Rotary
Trip Fee?
Notary Discussion History

Trip Fee?
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Iris_WA on 7/11/05 2:11pm
Msg #50996

Trip Fee?

Just got a call from a new SS for an appointment tonight. In negotiating fees, I asked my usual "What's the fee if they cancel?" and was told they'd pay my docs plus $15 for a trip. It is in my town, but don't know how far yet -- and was told it was $15. I said I would need $30 (less than half the negotiated fee) and I got "I'll have to check and call you back."

What are your feelings on trip fees? Was just shy of half too much to ask?

Reply by MJ_Florida on 7/11/05 2:50pm
Msg #51009

I think $30 is more than reasonable. Consider if someone else called you to do a signing and you have already commited to company A. You are dedicating your time to that signing and $15 is not what I make an hour!!

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 7/11/05 2:52pm
Msg #51012

I just got a check in the mail today for a trip fee which is $30

Reply by Iris_WA on 7/11/05 3:15pm
Msg #51015

Thank you MJ_FL and Margaret/Florida (if you're both separate). Had time to research them after she hung up, and it turns out they have very bad reviews (slow or non-paying) after all!

Nonetheless, it's good to know -- my reasoning thinking quickly (never been offered less than half fee for a signing where Borrowers refuse) was that it wasn't merely a trip. I would have spent time with them ... and if they were refusing, well.... that would have been unpaid time.

Still, I'm sure they found someone else -- there are others near me who are SAs.

Again, thanks for the feedback! (Hope you're safe!) Smiley

Reply by Margaret/Florida on 7/11/05 3:22pm
Msg #51016

I am in Northeast Florida and we only got very little rain, no more than we ever get.

No we have to watch out for Emily. I will be leaving for Atlanta on Friday and be there for about 10 days visiting 3 of my grandchildren.

Reply by Iris_WA on 7/11/05 3:29pm
Msg #51018

Well, hopefully, you'll avoid the rains and the wind! Be safe!

Reply by Charles_CA on 7/11/05 3:42pm
Msg #51020

I'm sorry but I just don't get this reduced fee for non-signers and i don't take a signing unless the entire fee is guranteed regardless. I still have to make the trip, I have to get prepared and review the docs, and if I get another signing for the same time I lose it because I am already comitted. I've had a few ss's balk at the notion but rarely.

Reply by Iris_WA on 7/11/05 3:50pm
Msg #51023

Thanks for the input, Charles. You make an excellent point, and fortunately so far, it's not been an issue. (I do this very part-time on my own, though I've worked extensively in the past as a TC employee.)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.