Would you sign these?
Notary Discussion History

Would you sign these?
Go Back to July, 2005 Index

Posted by Carol/MI on 7/23/05 12:08am
Msg #54053

Would you sign these?

Had a signing yesterday that included these:

1. An affidavit that asked for the borrowers' drivers' license numbers but had no signature lines. There was a jurat at the bottom. I called the SS and inquired. She told me to fill it in and notarize it. I told her I could only notarize signatures, and since no one was signing it I could not do it. She asked if I could get a copy of their drivers' licenses (I could), so I sent this form back blank with copies of their licenses.

2. Another form (not an affidavit) asked for the numbers from two forms of identification and had a signature line. When I called the SS about this one, she told me to fill it in and sign it as a witness. I did do this one with just my signature and no mention of being a notary.

What do you think?

Reply by Melody on 7/23/05 1:26am
Msg #54062

I have the borrowers fill in the blanks and sign it.

Then I can give them the oath and notarize it.

Reply by Glena/NV on 7/23/05 1:57am
Msg #54066

I normally don't

then I attach a post it note explaining why...never had a problem.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 7/23/05 8:04am
Msg #54085

#1 - Pretty typical form. You can't notarize it if you can't certify information. (Most notaries cannot.) As you stated, you can only notarize signatures. If you have copies of the borrowers ID, then someone else can fill in the information. If you don't have copies of their ID, you can fill in the information, without stamping it, and return it.

#2 - Another common form. I simply fill it in and sign it as "Signing Agent" and return it. You are correct in not signing it as a notary, since it is not an authorized duty of your office.

Reply by Stephen_VA on 7/25/05 10:22am
Msg #54476

The company that I have with these told me to draw a line and have them sign it. Works for me.

Reply by kwink/ca on 7/23/05 9:33am
Msg #54091

I had these same 2 forms yesterday and filled out and signed

both, notarized neither one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.